PDA

View Full Version : medication

yola
05-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Hi, i'm yola, new to the site. My doctor prescribed cymbalta for generalised anxiety disorder. Has anyone taken them before, and if so, did they work? I'm scared to take them because of the list of side effects and knowing me I'd end up imagining I have them all. Having major problems swallowing at the moment when I'm anxious and one of the possible side effects is inflammation of the throat. Dont want to end up feeling worse than I do already. Other possible side effects are trouble sleeping, anxiety and feeling agitated. Again, all the reasons I need to take something in the first place. I've always taken a low dose of valium but lately I need to take at least 25mg for them to work. Dont think he'll continue to prescribe them because they're so addictive.

dino
05-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Hiya yola

Welcome to the forum you will find loads of support both here and in the chat room :)

I have been on loads of meds over the years but sorry i not sure i have been on Cymbalta (duloxetine) as i know some medications available in America is not available here or if they are they go under a different name :)

I can however relate to your fear of side effects my doctor now takes out the leaflet as im so looped i used to think i had the side effects before i even swallowed a pill :lol:

The possible side effects i was told millions of times are very rare obviously any pill has to warn us or we would be suing there arse off , i can also relate to the whole swallowing thing , vallium did nowt for me either nor did ativan

All i can suggest is what i do now is if i get new meds i try repeating over and over im my head this is the one im going get well on , another suggestion is is it possible to take the cymbalta maybe hust before going to sleep that way hopefully decreasing your anxiety over the what ifs :)

Hugs and i wish you well on them being the one that helps you overcome your phobias etc , i wish i could be of more help remember all meds have loads of side effects but do only happen rarely :?

love dino
xxxxx
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p251/dino_042/Welcome-1.jpg

yola
05-23-2009, 05:44 AM
Thanks dino, your posts are very funny, they make me laugh which is very rare lately. Hopefully I'll pluck up the courage to start taking the cymbalta, my throat's raw at this stage from the repetitive attempts to swallow what feels like a golf ball. Not to mention the fact that my partner is tired of me bolting upright in the middle of the night making choking sounds. :o