View Full Version : Working In A Hospital !

Abbi
10-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Hey :)

I have a problem. My sister has just accepted a new job at a childrens hospital, and she starts Monday. She is going to be a laboratory assistant. I know this is nowhere near the wards, but I am terrified. It's only October, and already there is news of outbreaks of the norwalk in different hospitals. This is eating away at me. I have avoided hospitals like the plague for the past ten years. There's nothing I can do to stop her taking it, and I feel selfish because it's a really good job. I guess I just need someone to talk to about it all.

NatC
10-10-2008, 08:06 AM
hey :)

this must be very difficult for you...i know i would hate it, but you need to see the positive in that your sister as u say will not be near the wards, and labs are prob the cleanest bits of a hospital...i avoid them too, so i know what u are talking about

try not to panic, and i hope everything goes well for you and your sister

Natalie

Abbi
10-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Thanks Natalie :)

You're right, the labs are the cleanest parts of the hospital. I dunno, it just seems like now I will just be waiting to get ill. :unsure:

margo
10-10-2008, 01:18 PM
I know exactly how you feel Abbi. My daughter is a student nurse and I hate it when she is on placement in the wards. As soon as she comes in, I make her put her nurses uniform straight in the washing machine. I am terrified she is going to bring some dreaded disease into the house. However I have to put it into perspective. My son goes to primary school and he is more likely to bring something home from there, than my daughter is from the hospital. The hospital is a much cleaner environment than a primary school (or it should be). My daughter has been on placement for approx a year now and apart from the flu at Christmas we have all been as fit as fiddles :) As long as you practice good hygiene e.g. washing your hands, I think that the risk to your health is negligible. Another way to look at it is that as far as we know, doctors and nurses are not dropping like flies with dreaded lurgies. ;)

Try not to think about it too much. Imagination is a terrrible thing as you know.

Margo x

Abbi
10-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Thank you, Margo :)

You have made me feel a lot better about it.

margo
10-11-2008, 05:34 AM
That's good Abbi. :) How is your toothache? Did you phone NHS direct?

Margo x

Abbi
10-11-2008, 06:16 AM
Lol. I phoned the NHS this morning and they said I can't go to A&E. :huh:

I have to wait until Monday. But she did tell me to start taking a stronger painkiller. I'll just have to wait and see if they work.

abbi x

margo
10-11-2008, 11:14 AM
I hope that you are alright until Monday then. Thats the NHS for you. :(

Margo x

Abbi
10-11-2008, 05:25 PM
To be honest Margo, I'm really fed up. I thought codeine would work, it's very strong, but I'm still in agony. I can't believe a tooth can cause so much pain.