PDA

View Full Version : MAOI drugs

godzilla
06-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Has anyone here tried the type of drug called MAOI? They are a group of drugs like SSRI's. The drug of choise from the MAOI group is called Nardil. Its meant to be very effective for anxiety and agoraphobia but the Dr's are very reluctant to prescribe it due to the sides, contra-indications and costs. They also have a very strict diet to stick to like no cheese, marmite, certain pickles, processed meats etc etc. If you do eat cheese on them then its sends the person into hypotension and has killed a good few folk from this. This said an anxious person is going to steer well clear of any of the foods that are listed as 'dangers'

Anyway.... anyone tried them, results?

karleey
06-28-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm on one now called Manerix , it also has the awkward diet thing , but I was reassured it would be fine.

Chrisofsmeg
03-25-2009, 11:01 AM
They're so rarely prescribed nowadays. Mainly due to the fact that they're quite dangerous. Contraindicated when a lot of other drugs are used, benzodiazepines, other forms of sedatives such as Z-drugs, Opioids and certain heart and/or blood pressure medications in particular. Not worth the risk in my book.

Nardil is Phenelzine - it's one of the less volatile meds.

There's also the question of the special diet, which involves avoiding really particular things like certain meats, cheese and chocolate (For the love of god, no!)

If I do end up trying them I'll let you know what they're like - fingers crossed that I wont have to though lol!

Chris xx