PDA

View Full Version : Best meds for GAD?

Kris53
05-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Im wondering what everyone has tried/is on and how it's worked for them. I do know everyone is different, but just seeing.

Back in 1999 I was on Paxil but for only 3 mons but it did help! Tried it again in 2002 and a higher dose, didnt work at all.

Was on Zoloft for 18 mons in 2004 and it helped A LOT but I put on close to 35lbs. At that time I also was drinking a lot (like 4-5 days a week) wine, sometimes beer and I quit smoking so IDK if it was the Zoloft, drinking, quitting smoking or a combo.

Was on Prozac about 6 mons ago 20mgs for about 6 weeks maybe and it wasnt doing much so my Psy took me off that. But told me to give it another try again. I stopped after 5 days bc the side effects sucked! I started at 20 this time.

Tried Wellbutrin and it helped with my moodiness but was still having PAs

Im thinking of either asking to start with 10mgs of Prozac or maybe try Zoloft again.

IDK what to do about meds. I feel I need them right now. I want to go on something, but also dont. Im terrified of gaining weight which Im sure sounds stupid to some. I worked so hard to lose the weight I gained the last time.

thelostone8206
05-11-2008, 02:39 PM
just a thought, but if you stopped smoking while on zoloft that could very well explain the weight gain. even if you are very careful with what you eat, stopping smoking actually slows your metabolism.
lost

Kris53
05-11-2008, 02:52 PM
That's what I heard. ANd guess what??! Im smoking again!!!!!!!!!! UGGH!!!!!!!!! I smoke about 3-5 cigarettes a day, sometimes not even everyday. It calms me. I was smoing a pack pack and a 1/2 a day. I do want to stop period but again, worried about the weight gain!

thelostone8206
05-16-2008, 06:53 PM
3 to 5 a day is not really bad, and shouldn't have too bad an effect on your metabolism if you quit. that said, i smoke 2 packs a day right now, and one of my worst sources of anxiety that i have actually identified so far is fear of running out of cigs, now that is pathetic. i would try the zoloft again if i were you and just be careful and not change smoking habit at the same time. jmho

lost

Kris53
05-16-2008, 08:15 PM
No it's not pathetic! When Im super anxious a cig helps me. It relaxes me so its normal that you fear that.

karleey
05-19-2008, 11:21 AM
No it's not pathetic! When Im super anxious a cig helps me. It relaxes me so its normal that you fear that.

Agreeing with thelostone you should try zoloft again. :)

jade
06-30-2008, 02:28 PM
hiya I have gad and have been on a variety of meds. The only ones thst have really really changed my life were clomipramine.... but after 5 months on them they made me fat so I'm off them now, on something else and plodding along. If I didnt gain weight easily I would definately without a shadow of a doubt go back on them..... unfortunately tho all I have to do is look at a cake and I put on a stone!!!