PDA

View Full Version : Propranalol / Inderal

Stu
03-10-2008, 05:57 AM
Does anybody have any experience of taking these for anxiety? I would be interested to know how people have got on with it and their experiences in coming off it.

Cheers

margo
03-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Stu

I started taking propanolol 10mg 3 times a day for anxiety and panic attacks and they actually made me more anxious and more panicky. Anyway, after being admitted to hospital with full on breakdown, I was prescribed 80mg half inderal as i was told by the doctor that some people who are not tolerant of propanolol, seem to be more tolerant of half inderal. Luckily for me, i was one of those people and have been on the half-inderal ever since. I still have the anxiety but I don't have panic attacks as much and when I do, i can cope with them better. I have been on them over 3 years now and only once did i try to cut them back but obviously that meant going back on the lower dose propanolol. It didn't work, my anxiety and panic levels just went through the roof so I went back on the half inderal. I do worry that i will not be able to get off them but at the same time they have made a difference to my life, so like everything else you just have to way up the pros and cons and go with it.

Regards

Margo

jade
03-14-2008, 12:10 PM
:) hi stu

I've taken propranolol and have a stash in my cupboard. I never took it full time, just to slow my heart down if I was going away from my house or something. I was also told that I can take them while having a panic attack and after 20 mins or so they did ease the panic attack. I prefer propranalol to tranquillisers as you don't get that drugged up feeling but my best advice to you is to try a low dose of anti-deps incase it is depression causing your anxiety as the two are very often linked.

SugarSkulls
01-02-2010, 09:07 PM
I was prescribed this on Thursday and have been taking three a day with no noticable improvement. Should it have worked by now if it was going to? Anyone have information or experiances?

I get a bit weirded out by the fact it's slowing down my heart :S!

dino
01-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Hiya sugarskulls

I have been taking propranonol over ten years here was given them for SVT due to anxiety but if im honest they did slow my heart down in beginning but now they found i have severe anemia that also causes SVT at the moment i take 40mg a day but was told i can increase this to 160mg for severe anxiety but few years back on 80mg i got wheezy so downed my dosage again

Please do not be alarmed by them slowing your heart down as my gp assured me they most certainly wont slow it down to a dangerous level , another symptom i have with them is they can make me spaced out a bit then again that could just be my severe anxiety im a medical mystery lol :lol:

i have googled below more info for you hope this helps
love dino
xxxxx

What are beta-blockers used for ?

In lower dose, beta-blockers can be used to help treat the symptoms of anxiety e.g. palpitations, sweating, shakiness etc. They are more usually used to help heart conditions such as hypertension (high blood pressure), angina, arrhythmias etc.

How do beta-blockers work for anxiety ?

When you are anxious, your brain becomes more active and alert. Your brain may then make more of the chemical messengers called noradrenaline and adrenaline. These will then cause your body to have a faster heart rate, shake, sweat etc. and make you feel more anxious. The beta-blockers reduce the effect of these transmitters and so reduce the physical symptoms of anxiety. There are other drug treatments for anxiety e.g. the benzodiazepines (diazepam etc.).

How should I take them ?

Tablets and capsules:

Tablets should be swallowed with at least half a glass of water whilst sitting or standing. This is to make sure that they reach the stomach and do not stick in the throat. The capsules should be swallowed whole with at least half a glass of water whilst sitting or standing. This is to make sure that they reach the stomach and do not stick in the throat. The capsules are a "sustained-release" preparation and should not be sucked or chewed.

Liquid:

Your pharmacist should give you a medicine spoon. Use it carefully to make sure you measure the correct amount. Ask your pharmacist for a medicine spoon if you do not have one.

Shake the bottle well before use

When should I take my beta-blocker ?

Take your medication as directed on the medicine label. Try to take them at regular times each day. Taking them at meal times may make it easier to remember as there is no problem about taking either of these drugs with or after food.

How long will the beta-blocker take to work ?

They should start to work on your symptoms fairly soon after you start to take them e.g. within a few hours. After that your doctor may need to change the dose to suit you.

How long will I need to keep taking them for ?

This should be discussed with your doctor as different people respond differently. The beta-blockers are best taken in a fairly low a dose as a "first aid" measure.

Are the beta-blockers addictive ?

The beta-blockers are not addictive. They only act on the physical symptoms of anxiety. It is not a good idea to stop them suddenly though (see next question). For further discussion, click here.

Can I stop taking the beta-blocker suddenly ?

It is best not to stop taking a beta-blocker suddenly if you have been taking them regularly every day for more than about 4 to 6 weeks, although there probably would be no great problem. A gradual reduction in your dose is probably best.

What should I do if I forget to take a dose ?

Start again as soon as you remember unless it is almost time for your next dose. Do not try to catch up by taking two or more doses at once as you may get more side-effects. If you miss several doses start again when you remember. Tell your doctor about this next time you meet.

What sort of side-effects might occur ?
Side effect What happens What to do about it
COMMON
Fatigue You feel tired all the time. This may happen early on in treatment and should go away. If you feel like this for more than a week after starting the beta-blocker, tell your doctor. It may be possible to adjust your dose slightly.
Cold extremities Your toes and fingers feel cold. This may happen early on in treatment and should go away. If you feel like this for more than a week after starting the beta-blocker, tell your doctor. It may be possible to adjust your dose slightly.
UNCOMMON
Stomach upset This includes feeling sick and getting diarrhoea (the runs). If you feel like this for more than a week after starting the beta-blocker, tell your doctor.
Sleep disturbances You canít sleep very well and may have nightmares. If you feel like this for more than a week after starting the beta-blocker, tell your doctor.
Dizziness Feeling light-headed and faint, especially when you stand up. Donít stand up too quickly. Try and lie down when you feel it coming on. Donít drive. Let your doctor know next time you meet.
Wheeziness When you find it difficult to breathe, and your chest feels tight. This may happen if you have asthma. Contact your doctor now.
Bradycardia A very slow pulse (under 50 beats per minute). Contact your doctor now.
RARE
Skin trouble For example, a rash or itching that you havenít had before. Contact your doctor now.
Dry eyes Your eyes feel dry. Contact your doctor.

Table adapted from UK Psychiatric Pharmacy Group leaflets, with kind permission (http://www.ukppg.org.uk )

Do not be worried by this list of side effects. You may get none at all. There are other rare side-effects. If you develop any unusual symptoms ask your doctor about them next time you meet.

Will the beta-blocker make me drowsy ?

Some people do feel a little drowsy, particularly at the start of treatment, but this should wear off. If you do feel drowsy, you should not drive (see below) or operate machinery until you know how they affect you. You should be careful as they may affect your reaction times.

Will the beta-blocker cause me to put on weight ?

It is not thought that the beta-blockers cause any great changes in weight although it has been reported that a few people put on a small amount of weight over several years. If, however, you do start to have problems with your weight tell your doctor next time you meet as he or she can arrange for you to see a dietician for advice.

Will the beta-blocker affect my sex life?

Beta-blockers do not have any known significant effects. Higher doses may reduce blood pressure in some people (which is often why they are prescribed), which may have a detrimental effect in some menís ability to achieve an erection. In some people, reduced anxiety may be an advantage.

Can I drink alcohol while I am taking a beta-blocker ?

Alcohol may slightly reduce the effect of your beta-blocker, but this is unlikely to be a problem.

Are there any foods or drinks that I should avoid ?

You should have no problems with any food or drink other than alcohol (see above).

Will the beta-blocker affect my other medication ?

You should have no problems if you take other medications although a few problems can occur. Make sure your doctor knows about any other medicines you are taking. Make sure your doctor knows about any heart, breathing, thyroid or diabetic problems you have had in the past e.g. you should not normally take a beta-blocker if you have asthma.

The beta-blockers can "interact" with some other drugs e.g. for high blood pressure, glaucoma and some antidepressants. This does not necessarily mean the drugs can not be used together, just that you may need to follow your doctors instructions very carefully. You should tell your doctor before starting or stopping these or any other drugs.

SugarSkulls
01-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Hey Dino, thanks for such a thorough reply! I tookthese for about a week and was told if they didn't make much of a difference just to stop. About a week later I started have an irregular heart beat and that has now continued for three days which is a bit alarming :S! It's a pity, this was the last medication I think my Doctor is going to try. I guess I'll have to trust in a pshychiatrist :(

scaredangel84
05-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Ive started on these today 40mg 3 times a day alongside my citalopram

patience
05-25-2011, 02:23 PM
I was given propananol once and i hated it. It gave me insomnia and I was more panicky. I did feel my heart slow down which was weird because it felt like an artificial rhythm. I have had other friends take it for high blood pressure and they have no complaints about it, but it wasn't for me!

StevieBeavs
08-14-2011, 03:37 PM
i'm on propranolol 80 mg capsules - only been on it since wednesday (today being sunday) but i havent noticed any benefits, just nightmares, lack of sleep and cold fingers & toes :(