PDA

View Full Version : Anti-depressants 'of little use'

Memo
02-26-2008, 04:16 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7263494.stm ('http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7263494.stm')

02-26-2008, 05:47 AM
Very interesting :)

Thanks for posting memo

Caroline.x.

peroxidepixie
02-26-2008, 07:43 AM
Hmm, I read something very similar to this at the weekend in a magazine, and thought it was quite interesting. However, its all very well saying this should be the last port of call when trying to deal with depression and phobias, but there are few therapies available to us, without long waiting lists and many councillors are not trained to deal with specific problems, but instead just aim to provide someone to talk to for people. I think when you are living with something that is vastly effecting your state of mind and ability to function and live normally, the quickest and most readily available form of treatment is medication, and this is one many people are advised to try, by health professionals. Pfft.

I am having a shit day. Sorry for venting all over your post.

margo
02-26-2008, 08:17 AM
I think that the headline in the newspapers "Anti-Depressants are useless" or similar is very dangerous . People who really need them but are going through a rough patch could take this as a reason to just stop them altogether with serious consequences. If you read some of the articles further what is actually being said is that for mild and moderate depression there are other options available which could just be as effective, but that anti-depressants are the right thing for severe depression.

You just have to pick up a magazine to see the latest celebrity claiming depression and the need for a wee trip to rehab. It makes a mockery of true depression. I agree that in cases where someone is depressed because they have lost their job, or split up with their girlfriend etc, they do not need to be prescribed anti-depressants, but many GPs do just that. Its easier for them to hand over a prescription.

However, there is the other end of the spectrum where we have seriously depressed people who cannot get the proper help that they need, not just anti-depressants, but access to properly qualified trained psychiatric personnel when they need it the most.

This is what angers me the most.

I ended up in a psychiatric unit a few years ago when I had a breakdown. Believe it or not, I was actually refused entry into a unit the week before because they felt i wasn't ill enough - how wrong they were! Then once i left there I saw a psychiatrist once every six months which is just not good enough.

Just like all the other areas of the NHS, we suffer from a lack of trained staff, and unless that is sorted out, then i'm afraid the GP's will continue to dish out the anti-depressants.

dino
02-26-2008, 09:33 AM
Hi All
I watched the above on the telly this morning and i think margo has said it all

I do want to add however of course was not atall surprised to see the bit where

quote;
the makers of Prozac and Seroxat, two of the commonest anti-depressants, said they disagreed with the findings
Of course that money making b*****ds aint going to agree now are they

Dont get me wrong here yes i agree antidepressants may work for some but lets not forget not only the makers of this so called wonder drugs and the gps that are prescribing them are making a bloody fortune ,hence reasons they are being handed out like smarties

In my own experience, and I guess we can only really go by our own experiences, anti depressants made my anxiety worse. I tried a few different ones, the first I took for a period of 6-8 months and the others 4-6 weeks (I persevered with one after an another for many many years in the hope of finding some relief to my symptoms all to no avail

I should never have been told to keep taking trying there poisen as looking back i seriously believe a lot of us were and still are being used as larbroratary guinea pigs for there benefits

I can honestly say that my agoraphobia, anxiety and panic would never ever have gotten to the levels it has had I been offered therapy straight away as opposed to various prescriptions, medication side effects saw me experience anxiety attacks at their very worst and continues to do so

The mental health system here is a bloody joke

dopey dino should maybe o just went and had a joint o hash :lol: http://dl10.glitter-graphics.net/pub/493/493160fw4f0ee8zi.jpg ('http://www.glitter-graphics.com')

NatC
02-26-2008, 01:38 PM
hmmmm

im just really confused now...im going to the docs tomorrow, maybe to discuss my phobia and anxiety but now im not so sure i want to....along with all the bad side effects i keep reading about, now this report...i just dont know, it seems t me that maybe going on meds may be more of a problem than just carrying on as i am. Ive been thinking this for a while, but then again, i could just be making up excuses so i dont have to go to the doctor.....

jade
03-03-2008, 12:11 PM
:) whatever idiot decided to put all this in the newspapers should be injected with a panic attack and anxiety just so they know how we feel. When I heard that on the news I almost had a panic attack and I'm still extremely anxious now dragging it all up again but I need to vent myself here... anti-deps may sometimes have a "placebo" effect but that is only for people with very very mild depression that can be changed by positive thinking. It deffo wasn't true for me because I paid hundreds for homeopathy and acupuncture for a good 6 months yet I still had severe panic attacks. Yet, within weeks of going on to anti-deps my panic attacks stopped. Surely if it was placebo then when I was having homeopathy and acupuncture and all my psychiatrist/counselling then that wouldhave had a placebo effect. But it didn't.

The news really really unsettled me that day and if it was proved that anti-deps didn't work then they wouldn't sell. I asked my doc whom I trust very much and he said it was a load of b******s. :angry: sometimes anxiety and depression is caused by a chemical imbalance which only anti-deps can help. Yes, I still get bad days on my meds but nowhere near to where I was before. It has really angered me that the media could be so insensetive to the needs of others.