View Full Version : Im new, and scared

Jenks
02-25-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm completely amazed, overwhelmed, and somewhat relieved to see that I'm not alone in this.. I've never known another person with this phobia. It's ruining my life, and I don't know how to fix it. I'm afraid to read the other posts because I don't want to see the words. But I know that's important- desensitization, right?

Lately, Ive been having breakdowns. And two days ago, had the worst panic attack I've ever had. It landed me in the hospital, and I now know it's time to take this seriously and start being brave.

I'm looking forward to becoming closer with you all and sharing with you. I'm so glad these forums are here.

Thanks for this opportunity,
JL

-Meg-
02-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Hi Jenks,

Nice to meet you :) I don't have emetophobia but read lots of the posts here. Not all of them have the 'words' or detail so you may find reading them ok. Take it slowly ...

Hope to see you in chat soon.

Meg xxx

jade
02-25-2008, 12:05 PM
A huge welcome. I'm petrified of the stuff too and you are definately not alone. Are you on meds to control it though? The best thing I ever did was go on anti-deps and then take anti-sickness tabs for two weeks to stop the nausea that can come as a side effect. When I stopped taking the anti-sickness drugs the side-effects from the anti-deps had worn off (they only last a couple o weeks whilst the drug is getting into your system) I still hate the stuff and don't cope well when my 2 yr old daugter is "ill" but it doesn't completely control my life anymore. Hope you find some good support here. All the best :P

NatC
02-25-2008, 01:39 PM
hey, welcome to this site, i was like u, thought i was the only person in the whole world who felt like this....its such a relief to know that there are others who understand this horrible phobia..

see you soon, nat x

Sarah1984
02-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Welcome to the forum Jenks. You are most definitely not alone! I wish I knew how to fix this phobia too - for now I'm just muddling through the best that I can.

Pop into chat sometime if you can :)

Jenks
02-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Welcome to the forum Jenks. You are most definitely not alone! I wish I knew how to fix this phobia too - for now I'm just muddling through the best that I can.

Pop into chat sometime if you can :)

Thank you for the warm welcome :) I can't seem to find my way around this site.. "PM" won't work, and I don't see where the "chat" feature is. But when I find it, I'll be there. Looking forward to talking more with you all,

Jenks

watsonnichola
03-15-2008, 09:57 AM
het jenks nice 2 meet u dont be scared we dont bite lol hope 2 see u in chat take care xx

honey
04-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Hi
I am new here I have this phobia too, it as ruined my life so far. I am 35, I have had this phobia for as long as I remember.

amy.

cookaracha
05-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Hello everyone

Just came across this site today. I have emetophobia too, though I'm realising from reading other posts that perhaps it's not as severe as I thought I had it. I'm sorry to hear that some people have it pretty bad and I hope that anyone reading is having a good day today.

I'm really interested to know how it effects people?

For me I function normally with it every day. It does stop me from taking coaches, I dread flights but still take them once a year and don't go long-haul. Getting to work used to be tough because I kept jumping off buses. Now I drive so I have a lot more control. I used to be afraid in the cinema etc... in case there would be a scene. That doesn't seem to bother me so much now.

How does it effect you? I'm more afraid of others than being sick myself. Though I am petrified of being sick in front of anyone or in a public/enclosed space.

My big problem now is that my parents are elderly and need care. One has had heart trouble and I was so scared when they asked me to bring them to the hospital with an angina attack that I delayed for ages and they could have died. I'm really ashamed of that and would like to be able to beat this and look after my parents fulltime if they are unwell.

Has anyone come really far with it? Anyone out there that could now assist someone if they are unwell - I'm a long way from there but it's my ultimate goal.

Thanks for reading!

OntheRoad
05-14-2008, 10:48 AM
There's a lot of good article on www.EmetophobiaEraser.com ('https://www.EmetophobiaEraser.com'), and their program has a very good reputation as well.

sage of duck
06-20-2008, 04:16 PM
hi im new too. have the same thing so i compleatly understand. its good to know that were not alone. what helps me the most is to talk to people. like when a panic attack come call someone you trust that way they can distract you so you can calm down.

best of luck