PDA

View Full Version : When does the want to go out come back

Lark
11-04-2007, 01:55 PM
I have an anxiety disorder and was recently diagnosed. Just recently started taking meds including valium which does help. I can hardly sleep and often wake at 5am for the rest of the day. My appetite is very low. Sometimes I find it hard to just brush my teeth and take a shower let alone anything else. I started having panic attacks on a regular basis which led to my now agoraphobic stage. I can go outside for a bit but need to be by my apartment. I am only 23 and am missing so much of my life that it is making me angry. I watched as my friends went out on halloween and I was stuck celebrating my birthday inside. I just want to start feeling better because I need to move on and I am just wondering when is it going to happen. I just want to wake up one day and feel like "Hey, it's beautiful outside, I think I'll take a walk" but it hasn't happened yet. I need to get a job but it is just hard when you can't even go out. I want to be able to overcome this but it is just so hard. People think I am crazy but luckily this site has brought me comfort to know I am not the only one. I just want me and my life back...the time when I was happy and not homebound.

freaking-out
11-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Hi Lark,
I understand how you feel, I wish i could tell you that youll wake up tomorrow and itll all be a bad dream. (I think we all wish that!!) Anyway, sorry to hear your so down, keep your chin up, hey it can only get better right?? :) Cheers xxx freaky xxx
:) http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s103/yourspacecooment/meredo/think/7b30585aeacba40ece8449beb3a6ad15.gif ('http://www.meredo.com')

freedomfrompanic
11-09-2007, 03:07 AM
Dear Lark,

it is small steps that turn into big steps !

I do think that one can do things that will make you feel stronger and more confident in facing the 'outside world again', for example we agoraphobics do not move around enough, because of the small spaces we spend most of our time in, so exercising is a way to strenghten your mind and body, it will help you control your heart rate and do so many other good things for you...
Also, taking Vitamins and Minerals is essential, eating a healthy diet, doing things for yourself that make you feel good about life, anything you enjoy doing---do your hair in the morning, put some make up on, read a book, sing a song....whatever it is that makes you feel 'happy', do more of that every day!
Also, you can take herbal supplements, which will make you feel less anxious overall, and those are not drugs.

But ultimately, you need to retrain your patterns of behaviour which cause you to avoid going out.

Start with things like getting yourself dressed up every day to leave the house, put your shoes on, coat etc , take your keys, hold them in your hands, and open your front door, step outside and keep doing that until you start feeling anxious/panicky. When you do, go back to step 1, and keep doing that. You will see, your mind will soon start to feel bored, and will want to move on to bigger and better things. It is that sort of daily effort and work on it that will make your going out a better experience again. Nothing will just instantly change, without taking such actions.

It starts with you, and what you do about the small things, things you can control, do more of those until your mind like I said gets bored of it, and tells you to do 'more' !!!

This is called desensitizing your thinking, its basically 'reprogramming your software in your brain which has been messed up'. You are cleaning your faulty hard drive, and starting over fresh.

You need to train yourself to walk again, small steps every day WILL shift your perception and your feeling of self and what you feel like doing!!!

Coming here and posting on the forum, aswell as being in the chat rooms, is a great way to feel like there is always someone you can connect with if you feel down, and they will truly understand what it is to be suffering with this.

Lark, do small things every day, and do them persistently, I am doing the same thing, and I just know that we will conquer this fear.

God bless,

Sarah