PDA

View Full Version : Trazodone/Desyrel

RayRay
10-24-2007, 10:12 AM
Thinking of going on an anti-depressant and Trazodone sounds promising. Its trade names are Desyrel, Molipaxin, Trittico, Thombran, Trialodine.

Supposedly it benefits sleep and has anti-anxiety properties as well. I was thinking of taking this in conjunction with Xanax to overcome depression and panic disorder with agoraphobia.

Any experiences or anecdotes out there with this medication? I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
RayRay

jade
10-24-2007, 10:37 AM
:) Hi rayray, I know that xanax is addictive :( I've had valium and personally wouldn't go down that road as tranquillisers are very hard to come off of and you feel drugged on them. I have tried many sedatives, anti deps and tranquillisers as well as beta blockers and for me, tricyclic anti-deps have been great. I am on a med called clomipramine and it is specially for phobias so it is definately worth having a chat with your doc about :) You may put on weight with it but seeing as you like the gym it probably won't be a prob.

RayRay
10-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the info Jade. :) I'll look into Clomipramine.

I've been holding off on meds for awhile because I didn't want to become dependent on them. I guess I still fear the stigma of being "medicated" for depression. Though I have been taking xanax in small doses for the past couple of months, mostly to help me sleep.

jade
10-25-2007, 06:26 AM
yeh I know what you mean, the stigma that comes with being under meds for depression. It's only because docs dish 'em out like smarties but people like us genuinely need them and have nothing to be ashamed of. I held off 2 yrs as I was pregnant and then breastfeeding so wouldn't take anything but it was the most awful time ever and it was that bad that I don't want another baby ever!!! Which is a shame 'cos I didn't want Atlanta (2 yr old daughter) to be an only child. If I had to do it again I would definately have to stay on my meds or I'd crack up. So what I'm trying to say is take the meds without feeling bad about it. Depression and anxiety can be caused by an imbalace of chemicals in the brain and the only way to "right" them is to take meds! No amount of CBT or talking therapy helped me. The only thing that has helped is anti-deps. B)

bet
10-25-2007, 02:42 PM
molipaxin does help with with sleep and that awful anxiety feeling in the pit of the stomach.It does ease the symptoms of agoraphobia.
There can be a few side effects at the start but they pass,nothing compared to some other antidepressants out there.Of course everybody is different,but overall its a good drug.
I dont want to sound like a know all but I was tried on so many drugs molipaxin was one of the ones with the lesser side effects.
Xanax, eventhough it has its uses can be a bit of yucky drug.yes very ok for short-term or occasional use.not the most suitable for the long term for some one with anxiety issues.

bet :)