PDA

View Full Version : What do u all make of agoraphobia?

Sooti
09-29-2007, 05:16 AM
Im curious to know what u all make of agoraphobia, ive read theories about it being a problem with spatial distance etc and i think this sits with me, i also have fears and phobias which link in with it but it definately seems like a problem with my spatial distance reasoning. What do u all make of it and what are your own theories on it???

Rich-Admin
09-29-2007, 06:36 PM
Interesting post Sooti,

I will give you my answer, But not feeling too good at the moment,

As soon as i feel better i'll reply.

jk.

jade
10-02-2007, 06:29 AM
HIYA! I suffer from agoraphobia. . . ok Im not housebound but I cant leave my hometown or be around alot of people. IF I go in the car I start feeling sick and shaky and upset stomach too, yuck. I started by not leaving the area in which I live as noehere else was "safe" but then the fear got worse and really took over and it got to the point where even my house wasnt safe anymore and the panic attacks and anxiety came anytime, anywhere. It was rock-bottom and I tried prozac which lifted me enough to feel safe again in my home. After 6 months or so, the doc put me on CLOMIPRAMINE and these were great. It felt as though i had never even had any kind of panic disorder. They really helped control my symptoms but alas, they did increase my appetite and I put on over a stone! Im currently trying alternate meds now that dont make me put on weight but Im getting worse again and am using so-called "avoidance" tactics, like not going anywhere in the car and pretending to be out when someone calls round. i know this is the worst thing to do because thats when it gets a grip on you and rules your life. so, what do i make of agoraphobia? I think, speaking from my own experience, it starts with panic attacks which are so bad that you never ever want to experience one again so you start analyzing why you could have had that attack and you avoid anything that you feel might brig one on. after a while you are avoiding practically going anywhere and not doing things you used to enjoy, and bingo! Its got you. you are agoraphobic and depressed also cos your life is so mundane and people do not understand "what you are scared of!" anyone elses experiences similar to mine? I would love to know and am a new member.

jade
10-02-2007, 06:32 AM
HIYA! I suffer from agoraphobia. . . ok Im not housebound but I cant leave my hometown or be around alot of people. IF I go in the car I start feeling sick and shaky and upset stomach too, yuck. I started by not leaving the area in which I live as noehere else was "safe" but then the fear got worse and really took over and it got to the point where even my house wasnt safe anymore and the panic attacks and anxiety came anytime, anywhere. It was rock-bottom and I tried prozac which lifted me enough to feel safe again in my home. After 6 months or so, the doc put me on CLOMIPRAMINE and these were great. It felt as though i had never even had any kind of panic disorder. They really helped control my symptoms but alas, they did increase my appetite and I put on over a stone! Im currently trying alternate meds now that dont make me put on weight but Im getting worse again and am using so-called "avoidance" tactics, like not going anywhere in the car and pretending to be out when someone calls round. i know this is the worst thing to do because thats when it gets a grip on you and rules your life. so, what do i make of agoraphobia? I think, speaking from my own experience, it starts with panic attacks which are so bad that you never ever want to experience one again so you start analyzing why you could have had that attack and you avoid anything that you feel might brig one on. after a while you are avoiding practically going anywhere and not doing things you used to enjoy, and bingo! Its got you. you are agoraphobic and depressed also cos your life is so mundane and people do not understand "what you are scared of!" anyone elses experiences similar to mine? I would love to know and am a new member.

jamie_99
10-09-2007, 05:55 PM
I believe agoraphobia is caused by other phobias like social phobia etc.

DP
10-12-2007, 05:56 AM
I think the same as you jamie, mine started with other fears and developed into full blown agoraphobia.
once you have a panic attack you start thinking stupid things will make you have one,like going in a shop ,people being around you etc...

Jolie34
10-16-2007, 08:18 AM
once you have a panic attack you start thinking stupid things will make you have one,like going in a shop ,people being around you etc...

Yup thats how mine started too, if I didn't go to a certain place it wouldn't happen eg. The Supermarket. So not true......if only i had faced it when it wasn't so paralyzing

I was getting panic attacks after 6 years of being free and this time around they led to Agoraphobia. Probably my own fault for "avoiding" the places I had panicked before. This then led to not wanting to be around people (incase they saw me panic and started staring/thought I was mad)

Now the funniest thing is I am Claustrophobic I can't bear to be shut in anywhere. Agoraphobic, I hate being in an open space that is too far from home..getting to work on a daily basis is hell. Quite possibly Social phobic too as I don't like having people around me so much now.

Its exhausting!! I started with one problem and have let 3 more in to keep the panic company :lol:

Aint it a great vicious c***le, I don't know about any of you guys but some days I am just too tired to fight anymore.

Wendy xx

10-16-2007, 10:07 AM
I don't know what to think or try to think what may caused this
as a small child i was alway's anxiuose and paniced, bye 13 i had a full panic out side, in front of a mall lying on the ground being laughed at, year's i drank till 21
got med's but still paniced , bit of relife i was shoping going out, agrophobia
came and went then , year's later the fear's set in as DP said and you Jamie
avoiding all places malls , shopping outting's in fear that ide have them out side
but i get panics in side to , not near as bad as the thought of going out.
45 and still trying to figure how it got to this, jolie yes it a vicious c***le. and 1 get's very tierd on it. I just give up trying to figure it out i guess, wishing you all well.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r307/freecommenttags/Flowers/aaabluerose4hk.gif ('http://www.freecommenttags.com')

cheer

Anna
10-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Hiya scoti

I myself was a very nervous child too I remember even then a tried avoiding certain situations like going to school going on field trips anything really that took me away from home.

At the age of ten I was sent away to a boarding school which was big problem for me as it would be for any young child,

Then when I left there were a lot of family issues to deal with which made my fears worse.

I had my first major panic attack at 19 which was when it really took hold of me I have times when I could go out, but I believe with me its the fear of the fear like will it happen if I go out it has now delevoped into full agoraphobia of going out anywhere even a short walk up the street.

Home is my safety zone most of the time I feel ok at home although I have been know to hide away in my bedroom I feel uncomfortable with vistors too so thats the social side of it I suppose.

love
Anna
xxxx

Ps. sorry didnt meant to give out my life history there !!!!!

Sooti
10-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks for everyones input, its interesting to read, id like to hear more on the theory behind it tho rather than the classic avoidence behaviour. I definately think 'avoidance behaviour' is such a large part of it but for me personally at times when it is affecting me to a big degree i feel like my mental identifictaion with distance and awareness is very disrupted, yes i want to avoid provoking a panic attack but more so it feel like im going to the moon in distance and a trip to town just feels like so far. To me thats more complex than just 'avoiding a panic attack'. And my perseption is not always skewed so i can definately notice this element of it when it is here.

nattyone
10-17-2007, 02:47 PM
for me it is visual stuff , patterns, movement, lights etc .
I cant cope with that even leaves scattered on the pavement make me panic , this is why im convinced its visual, but also why i cant avoid it .

Sooti
10-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Interesting nattyone, id not really thought of this much but when im prone visual stuff and too much movement really puts me off balance, and id had that b4 it ever got into panic or agoraphobia, id get days or moments, where id just feel so exhausted and things would move to fast and make me feel a bit weird, like losing balance, i almost feel over once when i was a checkout chic from the till popping out too fast, was bizare!!!

Foxyphil
11-10-2007, 11:54 AM
I know there are plenty of theories that attempt to explain mental health problems -ranging from biological to social -altho the social ones are rarely discussed. I personally think that there are a massive amount of individual differences involved.

In may case - I think basic fear is the problem - not particularly of panic attacks when outside -but more that terrible things will happen -involving attack -insults -total loss of control etc.

Although the conventional wisdom is that mental illness is "no respecter of social class" -I am pretty sure from all my experiences in psyche hospitals and beyond -that it respects working class or underclass people (and neither of those are intended as terms of criticism ) -far less than it does the rest of the population.

I like combinations of fightback -from medications to life strategies -thinking skills -behavioural skills etc -and I think peer support is vital.

Just my two-penneth worth.

Phil x

jade
11-14-2007, 12:22 PM
everyone knows of the classic avoidance behaviour but I also think that it can be "inherited" My family have mental illness but not my close family that would influence me. . . My father and nan and also cousins and an aunt had various things ranging from a nervous breakdown to agoraphobia. But I havent just "learnt" this behaviour off them as I live over 200 miles away and dont have much contact with them. Also, I have had yrs of therapy and counselling and none of it has helped me. Nor acupuncture, homeopathy, herbs or aromatherapy and I paid hundreds for these alternative meds to work and each and every time anti-deps have helped amazingly. Everyone is different and different approaches should be tried for different peeps but I'd say to anyone with agoraphobia or any anxiety disorder, HANG ON IN THERE one day you'll find something that works for you. :) I thought I'd never stop having panic attacks or be able to sit in the docs waiting room but now that isnt a problem for me and I can even go out of my hometown-HUGE achievement!!! I also think with the state of the world today alot of people feel they have no hope, I mean look at the news thius world is a state and I cant watch the news and see so many other peoples' suffering :( maybe this depresses people and thus makes them prone to panic attacks and anxiety. Anyone think the same? ;)