PDA

View Full Version : agrophobia/social phobia

skid
08-22-2007, 04:48 AM
hi,im skid and am new to this site.ive suffered with anxiety/social phobia /agrophobia for 18years.i have been on allsorts of medication,doctors,psychiatrists,nothing seems to be that helpfull.anyone else have any input on meds for this!!!!!!or any other comments/ideas!

dino
08-22-2007, 07:41 AM
Dear Skid
First of a huge welcome to the forum ,like yourself i too suffer from agoraphobia,with anxiety and panic have done now for well over 12 years ,like you i to have tried just about every medication pyychologist pychiatrists all to no avail ,i wish i was of some more help but just wanted to say your no way alone
Hope to catch you in chat one night :)
love Dino
xxxxxxxx
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/kimball07/i178868103_48058_4.jpg

j.a.n
08-22-2007, 10:06 AM
hi skid,welcome to the forum i have met you in chat, its nice to meet you,hope to chat some more soon,tc jan

chilli
08-22-2007, 05:00 PM
hi skid

i have had agoraphobia and panic disorder with bouts of depression for nearly 3 years now. i tried antidepressants for about 3 weeks, have had CBT, EFT and have been to counselling.

i found that initially cutting out sugar, fizzy drinks and caffeine out of my diet helped to get my symptoms to settle down, however when i am in the midst of a real humdinger of a panic then nothing really helps me except to just try and ride it out. i do take the very occasional valium (so scared of gettin hooked), but have determined that after 2 years i needed to regain at least one vice so i started to drink alcohol again.......!!!!!

at least i can have a sociable drink with my friends, yet i am very much aware that alcohol can actually take the edges off panic quite well so the danger to abuse it is very real, so i drink only at the weekend if i want to.

diet and exercise work for some????? reflexology/accupuncture/ massage. naturopathy/ homeopathy/bach flower remedies.........are some treatments you could look into dependent on your finances.

i get real anxious in company, this makes me sweat and i get more anxious and then i find that often times i get mute.......cant make conversation, but i think that this is only with some folks as with others i am fine (more or less)

i guess we just keep looking for that thing/remedy/treatment/person/medication and keep trying different things until we find one that works.....i am still looking.

i wish you well skid.......keep fighting the good fight !!!

chilli
08-22-2007, 05:05 PM
i forgot to add......... try doing a little research into amino acids as an alternative to prescriptiom meds; things like 5HTp, SAMe, L-Glutamine? etc

i have it all written down somewhere and will see if i can find it and post it for you.

skid
08-23-2007, 06:10 AM
hi skid

i have had agoraphobia and panic disorder with bouts of depression for nearly 3 years now. i tried antidepressants for about 3 weeks, have had CBT, EFT and have been to counselling.

i found that initially cutting out sugar, fizzy drinks and caffeine out of my diet helped to get my symptoms to settle down, however when i am in the midst of a real humdinger of a panic then nothing really helps me except to just try and ride it out.* i do take the very occasional valium (so scared of gettin hooked), but have determined that after 2 years i needed to regain at least one vice so i started to drink alcohol again.......!!!!!

at least i can have a sociable drink with my friends, yet i am very much aware that alcohol can actually take the edges off panic quite well so the danger to abuse it is very real, so i drink only at the weekend if i want to.

diet and exercise work for some????? reflexology/accupuncture/ massage. naturopathy/ homeopathy/bach flower remedies.........are some treatments you could look into dependent on your finances.*

i get real anxious in company, this makes me sweat and i get more anxious and then i find that often times i get mute.......cant make conversation, but i think that this is only with some folks as with others i am fine (more or less)

i guess we just keep looking for that thing/remedy/treatment/person/medication and keep trying different things until we find one that works.....i am still looking.

i wish you well skid.......keep fighting the good fight !!!

skid
08-23-2007, 06:15 AM
yeh thanks chilli.i know what you mean about the alcohol,i used to drink nearly everyday but am down to once a week.does help with the anxiety but i feel like shit when recovering anxiety twice as bad!

chilli
08-23-2007, 05:57 PM
I hear that Skid.....but i think that i just get really bad hangovers if i overdo it rather than increased anxiety anymore. maybe thats because my body has gotten used to alcohol again? i dunno'.

The thing that gets me is that once you have a drink or 2, you begin to feel almost normal again and for me personally, i have been able to push my boundaries a little bit further than i usually would be able to. which in one way is good but who really wants to have to drink before they go out and try anything. that way just leads to a whole heap of trouble, and having had an alcoholic father i know only too well the dangers, thats why i do not allow myself to use it as a crutch.

so nearly 3 years later i am still trying to recover from agoraphobia and PD.

**** i am STILL trying to dig up that info for you but i forgot to also mention (!) that you can take a B Complex vitamin which is very good for the nervous system. i tend to rely on this now and rarely take valium. however, i can feel my anxiety, panic and aggy rising because i am stressed about an upcoming appeal that i have to attend.

take care Skid.

chilli
08-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Here is the information as promised Skid, hope it helps:

There are alternatives such as amino acid supplements :

5HTp – anti-depressant
L-tryptophan – like 5HTp / can work better for some people
L-taurine – good for the heart / calms the body
L-theanine – mild but very calm / take with B6 / non drowsy / no side effects
L-phenylalanine – good for stress / opens endorphins (feel good receptors)
SAMe – effective for depression / good for anxiety / works fast / some side effects but not as much as prescription anti-depressants

Recommended to take any with B6 to work effectively

*******AS ALWAYS, CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR, PHARMACIST, HEALTH PRACTITIONER BEFORE TAKING ANY SUPPLEMENTS******

You can take ‘Bach Flower Remedies’ such as Rock Rose (terror), Aspen (unfounded fears), Cherry Plum (fear of lost mind), Rescue Remedy (immediate relief when you feel overwhelmed, stressed etc)

There are some aromatherapy oils suitable for anxiety :
Bergamot, Cedarwood, Cypress, Frankincense, Geranium (rose), Hyssop, Lavender, marjoram, Myrrh, Neroli, Orange, Rose, Vetiver

6-8 drops in running bath water
Dilute a few drops in a carrier oil for massage
Dilute in water and add to burner
*dilute some neroli in water and put in a spray bottle. Mist around the face at the first sign of panic as this will help to nip it in the bud and calm you down.

As always…….RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH

You can look at your diet and lifestyle and make some changes if necessary. Exercise helps also !!

I hope I have given you at least something to think about? There are other treatment options available to but you may find (as most of us have) that you have to try a few before you find one that works. Sorry for the long post, tried to keep it as short as possible !!!!!!!!!

skid
08-25-2007, 01:29 PM
hi chilli,its skid,thanks for the info.i have tried some of the aromatherapy oils,but havent the amino acid supplements,will def give them a whirl.let you know.cheers.

jan
08-25-2007, 02:43 PM
hi,im skid and am new to this site.ive suffered with anxiety/social phobia /agrophobia for 18years.i have been on allsorts of medication,doctors,psychiatrists,nothing seems to be that helpfull.anyone else have any input on meds for this!!!!!!or any other comments/ideas!

hi i new to this so you have to be a little patient i tryed a course of cbt all that did was too make me more panic stricken than i already was i never done this talkin on the net before my ot suggested it cuz lost what to do next if you go on msn i send you my address and we can chat if you like its fine if you dont take care look forward to here from you soon :rolleyes:

skid
08-27-2007, 12:00 PM
hi jan,firstly welcome to this site!at the mo i havnt got a msn mail,am just getting to grips with this.so you didnt think cbt was good for you,i was gona give that a go,what exactly does it entail.do you have to talk to people about your past and stuff!apparently you can do cbt on the computer now! called ccbt!i have been to counciling before but they dont seem to understand you,they try and put it down to abuse or summat!have tried various meds,aromatherapy.at the moment am tking citalopram and clonazepam,i dont feel brilliant but!how long have you been a sufferer?

jan
08-31-2007, 06:41 PM
:) cbt was too much for me you did the same thing 30 or more the idea was the more you did less stress you got but that not true in anyway or form they stuck me on anti depress drug its the easy wa out for them but found that my hobbie is helping i collect music i got every thing from pan pipes to club music and rock and pop thanks for your reply never done this before didnt know how i come across i a friendly person once i get to know anyone look forward to hearin from you take care jan :

skid
09-01-2007, 08:31 AM
hi jan.ive tried going out n stuff coz they rekon it gets easier for the anxiety but for me it still gets worse,and if youve suffered with it for as long as i have i should be the better judge as to say!!!!alot of docs and stuff they dont listen or wana know coz they dont understand!!!

DP
09-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Hi skid, like you i have suffered about 18 years and i have tried most things only for me to feel worse after each one. I see a psychiatrist atm and he is great, he lets me do things in my own time and never puts pressure on me. It is all down to us really and one day that time will come until then we try to keep going. I believe we can all do it one day :)

FLORENCE
09-01-2007, 11:29 AM
:) :)

Hi Skid,,,,welcome and nice to meet you!!! I have suffered from PTSD and Agoraphobia for 14 yrs,,,am now recovering from Agoraphobia,,with a lot of hard work! DP you have hit the answer ,,,it is up to each of us to try to do our best and work at it until ,,,yes one day when you too can be recovering ,,,,we r all different and do things at our own pace so fear not ok Skid??? Your day will come!! FLORENCE :)

skid
09-03-2007, 03:30 PM
hi.thanks florence and dp,thanks for the post.what do you find that seems to help you?im taking citalopram and clonazepam.the cital oes take a bit of the edge of anxiety and the clonaz does work if you need a quick calmer but also makes me tired,so still dont want to try and get out!

DP
09-05-2007, 05:50 AM
I found the only tablet to help me get out is lorazepam but like so many stronger pills they are only a short term or quick emergency tablet and won't be prescribed daily.
Some days are like that skid you just dont want to try getting out i think its all part of the depression that comes with many phobias. One day at a time and if today is crap just say "im having a crap day ill try again tomorrow"
I can have great days when i can walk to the shop with my partner which is only a few hundreds yards away but it makes me feel good.I start to think maybe i can get over this. Another day i cant even get to the gate.
So remember its in your own time not anyone elses or a doctors book!

Take care DP x

chilli
09-05-2007, 03:43 PM
I know a few friends that are taking citalopram and they doing fine. i have not tried either clonazepam or the other one? but i take diazepam (valium) on an as needed basis.

i think that some days i wake up feeling like i cant be bothered and then i do not try to do anything, however, some days i wake up feeling quite strong and i will take myself out of the house to buy a newspaper or go to the big shops (!).

yesterday i had to travel at least 40 minutes away from where i live (yikes) and i went in my sisters car. at one point i wanted to jump out and run for home as i felt that familiar lurch in my stomach and my vision going funny. i then developed a cracking hedache that stayed with me all day/night. BUT......i managed to make that journey because i told myself that if the worse came to the worse i know that my sister will get me to a hospital fast.....

i was prepared for the worse and when it didnt happen i was suprised and felt quite proud of myself because that is the furthest i have been in nearly 3 years. i still feel tired a whole day later but it was worth the stress......i know that i can push through that fear barrier (with company and in a car). BUT i do not know that i would have even attempted that journey by public transport......heck im almost 99.9% certain that i wouldnt have.

so i guess i echo the last few posts in that it really is up to us. i know realistically that i can do it but i dont TRUST that i can travel so far.

does anyone else feel as if this condition has them feeling like their brain has been rewired and what once was 'normal' now seems like something so far out of reach and surreal????????????? the things people take for granted such as being able to get up and go, leave me in awe and ever so jealous of that freedom.

DP
09-06-2007, 03:39 AM
I feel jealous of my friends who just plan days out or holidays without even a thought. Even if they say im going into town for some new clothes etc...

Like you said public transport is a no no as i am not in control in any way. If im with someone i trust i can tell them ok get me home now!
People often said to my partner dont listen to her and make her stay a bit longer but he has no choice lol, if he doesn't do what i say when im panicking he knows hes in for it when we do get home :)

chilli
09-07-2007, 09:52 AM
I know what you mean DP !!!!

I used to feel the same way but my p would not give in to me. we never ever went far but it was enough to bring on palps and sweating and headache etc etc and the fear and the need to run home.

However, you are lucky, because my p left me 19 months ago and i was so scared that i was just gonna end up fat and alone. i am not alone all the time but boy has the weight crept on:).

support is paramount i think and just having somebody that understands and who is prepared to help you test your boundaries is what makes the difference. i have had to practically slog this out on my own for the most part. i have good days and really good days, then bad days and really awful days.

I refuse to take any SSRI's bc i am scared of the side effects and so i just get up every day and hope for the best.......sometimes i can test my boundaries as i was helped to do with CBT.

My friend decided to go to the coast last weekend and i couldnt go.......she didnt even ask me or suggest i try, which left me feeling kinda low. when they stop asking it feels like they have given up on you.....or is that just me??????

skid
09-09-2007, 03:48 PM
yes chilli,can certainly relate to that!!!!!!!!!!

DP
09-10-2007, 07:12 AM
People say to me all the time now.... We was gonna ask but knew you wouldn't come.Then go on to tell me how great it was !!!

Its still nice to be asked isnt it.:)

jenanne
09-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Welcome skid nice to meet you this is a lovely supportive place

Jen

skid
09-12-2007, 03:33 PM
hi jen.nice to meet you,and yes this place is great and glad iv found it.hope to speak to you again soon.

Sooti
09-21-2007, 01:52 AM
I've had this stoooopid disorder for a few years now, probably about 4, seems like the months and years have all just melted together and sometimes i get these wow moments of 'sheesh...how long have i been like this for???'. Ive relapsed pretty bad atm so arent a blaze of success but exposure really helped. It sucked to do and was sooooooo bloody hard, but I just kept trying, it didnt make me feel fantabulous after doing stuff on each occassion and it never seemed to get any less challenging coz as soon as i was good with one thing i was onto the next but it kept me mobile. I know low iron and folic acid really aggravates my symtpoms and ive no doubt that im deficient in some other vitamins and stuff which im trying to fix up atm. Chili has given great advice, nutrition is really important. Tc and keep us posted on your recovery!!

chilli
09-21-2007, 02:51 PM
Hey Sooti !!!!

wow, kudos for keeping at it. i know how difficult exposure exercises are......you are very very brave and you should be proud.

where do the years go eh ? i am approaching 3 yrs in a few months time and i can look at it like , heck i have come a long long way from not even being able to leave my house in the beginning.

sometimes i despair as i crave my old life, however, this is an opportunity to make a new a different life for myself as it is obvious that something that i was doing in the past has contributed to my current condition(s).

keep moving forward sooti - expect to have the odd setback but dont linger on it, keep on moving. you will get there in the end. and dont forget to post your achievements as im sure we can all do with some inspiration. lets celebrate our victories however small and take a rest from talking about what we cant do. whaddya say :) !!!! ;)

Sooti
09-22-2007, 01:39 AM
Thanx Chilli, I needed to hear that coz im feeling sooo low atm, il make a new post tho so i dont hijack this one lol