PDA

View Full Version : Dental Meds

puppypusher
08-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi there
Iwas wondering if anyone was familiar with dedation dentistry and if it really works?Have to see the dentist in a couple of weeks and would like it to be as painless as possible.
Thanks

gill
08-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Hi Puppypusher

Please, please, please, let me know how you get on, coz i joined this site due to my own dental phobia and anything that could help would be much appretiated......up to now i have not seen much on 'dental' talk so would love some info.
Sorry i cannot help with your question but i really hope it works for you.

Gill x

puppypusher
09-21-2007, 10:53 PM
Hi Puppypusher

Please, please, please, let me know how you get on, coz i joined this site due to my own dental phobia and anything that could help would be much appretiated......up to now i have not seen much on 'dental' talk so would love some info.
Sorry i cannot help with your question but i really hope it works for you.

Gill x

Hi Gill
Well I found a dentist that I beleive will be fairly comfortable to deal with.I found out I have 17 cavities(didn't know I had that many teeth!)When I se him in Nov.it will be with 2 valium to get me in the chair and nitrous to keep me there.he also says he has a topical made just for him so I shouldn't feel the needlefor the novacain(or whatever they use)Very understanding about my phobia.i'll let you know how things turn out :)
PP

ajpetersendesigns
10-02-2007, 06:57 AM
As someone with a dental phobia myself (only been to the dentist once in my life and no cavities :D ) I was offered only nitrous.

Let me just tell you that nitrous only helps a little. if you are offered anything additional to relax you, go for it. When I had 2 wisdom extractions, It was a not so pleasant experience.

I was SOOO Terrified. I was given nitrous and I was crying. As I continued to breathe I started panicking about all kinds of crazy things, what if I'm breathing in too much and die. What if he breaks my jaw. All kinds of things that were NOT likely to happen. eventually I started laughing in between crying and I was not feeling any better, it was weird I was just laughing about it.

After finished the forever long process wihich I won't explain in detail due to other people's phobes, I'll just say I was very mad to see that this older "tough" looking guy went behind me and they gave him meds to make him sleep for just one extraction!

I should have known by the look of the old, somewhat dirty waiting room that this place was not the best.

My advice - make sure the office is clean, the staff is intellegent, and if they offer you something to relax TAKE IT. Anything more than nitrous will be of great help.

puppypusher
10-02-2007, 09:14 AM
As someone with a dental phobia myself (only been to the dentist once in my life and no cavities :D )* I was offered only nitrous.

Let me just tell you that nitrous only helps a little. if you are offered anything additional to relax you, go for it.* When I had 2 wisdom extractions, It was a not so pleasant experience.

I was SOOO Terrified.* I was given nitrous and I was crying.* As I continued to breathe I started panicking about all kinds of crazy things, what if I'm breathing in too much and die.* * What if he breaks my jaw.* All kinds of things that were NOT likely to happen.* eventually I started laughing in between crying and I was not feeling any better, it was weird I was just laughing about it.

After finished the forever long process wihich I won't explain in detail due to other people's phobes, I'll just say I was very mad to see that this older "tough" looking guy went behind me and they gave him meds to make him sleep for just one extraction!

I should have known by the look of the old, somewhat dirty waiting room that this place was not the best.

My advice - make sure the office is clean, the staff is intellegent, and if they offer you something to relax TAKE IT.* Anything more than nitrous will be of great help.

Many thanx for the relpy.I appreciate all the info I can get.The 2 times i was at the office it was indeed clean and the staff very understanding.As I mentioned the dentist has already given me valium for the nite before and the day of the visit.Hoping that the combination of that plus the nitrous will do the trick.I know anxiety can interfere with meds because when i had my rootcanal my anxiety level counteracted part of the novocain.Don't want that to happen again.Will keep you posted