PDA

View Full Version : Treating Agoraphobia

08-06-2007, 04:22 AM
Treating Agoraphobia
If left unchecked, agoraphobia can interfere with work or social life. There is help for overcoming overcoming agoraphobia and a slew options in the treatment of agoraphobia

Medication: Anti Depressants and anti-anxiety medications are used to treat. Xanax and other benzodiazepines are sometimes used treat the panic disorder associated with agoraphobia.

CBT: Cognitive Behavior Therapy. It is a form of psychotherapy where undesired thoughts are replaced with desired ones. This form of therapy is very effective when used with medication.

Self Help: There are a fewself help programs marketed by psychiatrists and psychologists that promise to "cure" you of agoraphobia. Some programs have worked for others suffering from agoraphobia, and some don't work at all. What works for someone else may not work for you personally. We only recommend this option if you unable to seek professional treatment via a psychologist or psychiatrist.

Questions and Answers:

Q: What should treatment options or medications should I use to overcome agoraphobia?
A: We cannot recommend a treatment option, we always recommend seeking a mental health professional to discuss what is best for you. You should never take medication based on what others recommend to you, only your doctor can help you decide which form of medication is best for you.

Q: I don't like medication, what are good alternatives to this? A: Cognitive Behavior Therapy and some self help programs.

Q: Where can I find information about different medications? A: You can information about common anti anxiety and anti depressive medications by clicking here.

Q: Is there a magic cure for agoraphobia? A: While there there is no silver bullet approach to curing agoraphobia, you can successfully overcome agoraphobia through the use of medication or therapy.

Q: My question was not listed here, what should I do? A: We recommend seeking your therapist about questions you may have.

08-13-2007, 07:46 AM
Emma

Are you copying these posts from websites?

Think youll find if you go to www.phobics-awareness.org (http://www.phobics-awareness.org) and look at Jks website he has alot of things similiar save you going copying n pasting from others he has a huge list of phobias and also lists Agoraphobia Panic-attacks Social phobia so on and has pages similiar to what you are posting here in forum

Caroline

08-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Oh yes Caroline I have since I posted these found that part of the fourm. These are actually hand outs that my old Doctor had given me I scaned them into the computer and then copy and pasted them. I had a 15 or so that I wanted to sare with eveyone so that is what I did.
But thanks for letting me know...I do wish I had found that all sooner

Emma

ibex333
09-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Treating Agoraphobia
If left unchecked, agoraphobia can interfere with work or social life. There is help for overcoming overcoming agoraphobia and a slew options in the treatment of agoraphobia

Very true. Not sure about the slew of options though.

Medication: Anti Depressants and anti-anxiety medications are used to treat. Xanax and other benzodiazepines are sometimes used treat the panic disorder associated with agoraphobia.

In my experience Xanax has been horrible. Probably the worst med I ever took. I seen numerous negative comments on forums concerning benzos. A few say they help, a lot say they harm.

CBT: Cognitive Behavior Therapy. It is a form of psychotherapy where undesired thoughts are replaced with desired ones. This form of therapy is very effective when used with medication.

Too expensive unfortunately. Not an option for many Agoraphobics IMO. Why? The reasoning is simple! If you are agoraphobic you cant go out. (or limited in going out) You cant go out, you cant work. You cant work, you cant make money. You don't have money, you cant pay for $100-200+ an hour CBT and NLP sessions!
Now.. I'm happy for those that have rich parents, husband/wife, lover, boyfriend/girlfriend, secret admirer.. But what about others?

Self Help: There are a few self help programs marketed by psychiatrists and psychologists that promise to "cure" you of agoraphobia. Some programs have worked for others suffering from agoraphobia, and some don't work at all. What works for someone else may not work for you personally. We only recommend this option if you unable to seek professional treatment via a psychologist or psychiatrist.

Self help? - The only feasible option in my experience. Psychiatrists stuff pills down my throat that only make me worse. Psychologists charge too much for sessions... What is a guy to do? Currently I'm trying more self help books, and "exposure therapy". Not much luck so far, but who knows?

Some of the stuff I wrote may offend some, but please understand that I'm merely sharing my own experience to give people one more view on what it is like to deal with this problem in "real life". Your experience might be entirely different, and I hope it is so. ;)

Stray
09-18-2007, 11:03 PM
actually i quite agree with you on them points Ibex.

I have found that i have been approaching my Agoro from the wrong direction, i.e. trying to headbutt it into submission, for so long that i have actually re-trained myself to EXPECT the affliction to interfere with my daily life to the point that i actually cause my attacks to happen before i have begun doing anything that needs doing!

Am currently doing a form of CBT that has me visualising and exposing myself to the outside world in a manner that has me kinda getting some semblance of real life back again.

oh, look at that... there i go typing too much again...

:wibble

now if you all don't mind getting out of my bath, i can relax again.......... ;)

ibex333
09-19-2007, 09:40 PM
actually i quite agree with you on them points Ibex.

I have found that i have been approaching my Agoro from the wrong direction, i.e. trying to headbutt it into submission, for so long that i have actually re-trained myself to EXPECT the affliction to interfere with my daily life to the point that i actually cause my attacks to happen before i have begun doing anything that needs doing!

Am currently doing a form of CBT that has me visualising and exposing myself to the outside world in a manner that has me kinda getting some semblance of real life back again.

oh, look at that... there i go typing too much again...
:wibble

now if you all don't mind getting out of my bath, i can relax again.......... ;)

Can you please tell me more about this CBT thing you are doing? I want to try that too. A link maybe?

I recently found someone that offers NLP sessions for a lower price I can afford. Sounds a little too good to be true, because most charge A LOT more. Still, it's worth a try. I will post more on this once I begin therapy.