PDA

View Full Version : Agoraphobia awareness film

Group M
02-26-2006, 08:50 AM
Hi, my name is Chris, I'm a student at the UcCA in Farnham, UK.

Currently I am co- producing an awareness film on agoraphobia. Having very little first hand knowledge on the subject, I have written a short interview. I do realize this is a sore subject to many, so if any question comes across as offensive it is completely unintentional, and you do not have to answer every question. Please refrain from posting yes and no answers, the more you ellaborate on each question the more usefull it is to us.

If there are things you don't want posted, answers and comments can be sent directly to groupm2006@hotmail.com.

The film will be in the style of docu-drama, with a voiceover compiled by your answers. Please let me know if you want to be credited in the film.

Yours sincerely
Chris and Group M, UcCA Farnham

The interview

When did agoraphobia first manifest itself with you?

Any particular event that triggered it?

The phobia comes in different strengths. How would you categorize your own case?

Has it worsened in any way?

Agoraphobia some times comes with other phobias, anxiety or O.C.D.’s. Have you experienced any of these or others?

Have you, or are you undergoing any form of treatment?

Does the phobia dictate your life? How?

How do you make your living?

How do you get your shopping done?

What is the worst part of agoraphobia?

Anything you want to add that will make the audience more aware on the subject?

Thank you to all who took their time to answer.

DP
02-27-2006, 04:38 AM

Currently I am co- producing an awareness film on agoraphobia. Having very little first hand knowledge on the subject, I have written a short interview. I do realize this is a sore subject to many, so if any question comes across as offensive it is completely unintentional, and you do not have to answer every question. Please refrain from posting yes and no answers, the more you ellaborate on each question the more usefull it is to us.

If there are things you don't want posted, answers and comments can be sent directly to groupm2006@hotmail.com.

The film will be in the style of docu-drama, with a voiceover compiled by your answers. Please let me know if you want to be credited in the film.

Yours sincerely
The interview

The phobia comes in different strengths. How would you categorize your own case?

Agoraphobia some times comes with other phobias, anxiety or O.C.D.’s. Have you experienced any of these or others?

Hi Chris,
i will answer as honest as i can :)
1: I have suffer approx 15 years.
2: My doctors say it was post natal depression after i gave birth to my son.
3: My own case is severe as i cannot leave my house alone and when i can get out with my partner its about 200 yards i can manage.
4: It has got worse over the years. I went on to have 3 children and it went worse after each one.
5: I also suffer anxiety,panic attacks and depression on and off.
6: I have a pychiatrist visit once every 3 months or so to advice and support me through any problems.
7: It does dictate everyone who suffers from agoraphobia because your restricted to the amount you can manage. I cannot take my kids to school,go shopping or everyday things like going for a loaf of bread from the shops. My partner does it all. Doctors have to visit me and dentists but there is only so much they can do at home.
8: We have to live on benefit at the mo because i cannot get out and my partner is my childrens and my carer.
9: as i said my partner does all weekly shopping or local shop runs,and if he is ill we have to do it online.
10: the worst part is not enjoying life to the full,having 3 kids and not being able to take them out on holiday or day trips. Not having anything to do but look at four walls and feel anxiety. Feeling guilty about making my partner do everything ... the list is endless im afraid lol.

Hope this helps your film and show awareness to others.
Good luck with it and let us know if it gets on tv:)

angie
02-27-2006, 09:54 AM
hello chris, here goes.
1. i've had agoraphobia for 23 years now.
2. don't think anything in particular started it. too long ago now.
3. i was very bad i think. i couldn't bring myself to think of outside or even look through the windows.
4. it worsened allot as time went on. i had 24 hour fear.
5. i also have panic attacks, o.c.d. (not too bad now) high anxiety all the time. depression. paranoia.
6. i had therapy but have declined drugs.
7. every aspect of my life is dictated by my 'condition'. being agoraphobic takes allot of planning and sometimes avoidance.
8. my partner works. i had a job and will be looking again for one soon.
9. we sometimes shop on-line but we tend to go together.
10. the worst part? feeling like a feeble looser. not accepting invites ect. letting myself and others down all the time. not being as strong as i should.
11. i have to live all my worst fears every second of every day.

good luck with the research chris. keep us informed.
angie.

Anna
02-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Hi Chris
1. Since I was a child I was nervous and anxious.
2. I don’t know the answer to that question I have always had a feeling of dread as if something bad was going to happen to me or family or friends and have always felt uncomfortable away from my home.
3. I have some bad experiences when the symptoms have totally overwhelmed me to the extent that I have hid away from everyone i.e. staying in my bedroom with the curtains closed not answering the phone or door.
4. In bad periods of stress I can revert back to the above.
5. I also suffer with anxiety and panic attacks.
6. I have seen therapists as a child and adult didn’t work for me and been on medication which I had a bad reaction to due to a doctors error.
7. It dictates my life in every way; I find it hard to leave my house without my husband or a person that I totally trust.
8. My husband is self-employed, so I can ring him to come home at moments notice.
9. My husband does everything i.e. shopping, paying bills etc and now my children are older they help out with what they can.
10. I suffer with a lot of guilt for my family and friends I feel like a failure as a person as a wife, mother daughter sister and friend the feeling of fear is always with me I wish it would just go away.
11. I am glad that nowadays these fears are more recognized than when I was younger I was told by a doctor that I was a drama queen I felt patronize and was made to feel like I was a fake, its a lot better now that doctors are more aware of these phobias and are more understanding.
Good luck I hope this helps in some way Chris
Anna

dino
02-28-2006, 09:32 AM
HI CHRIS HOPE MY ANSWERS DONT BORE YOU 2 TEARS

1.IVE ALWAYS BEEN ANXIOUS BUT AGORAPHOBIA BEGAN APPROX 8 YEARS AGO

2.I WAS PRESCRIBED SEROXAT(PARAXOTINE) AFTER BEING ON 50MG DAILY FOR 4YEARS MY THEN PHYCHIATRIST STOPPED THEM ABRUBTLY,SYMPTOMS THEN GOT SO BAD WENT DOWNHILL FROM THEN ON

3.MY CASE IS SO SEVERE THAT EVERY DAY I LIVE IN A STATE OF PURE AND UTTER TERROR 24/7

4.OVER THE LAST TWO YEARS I HAVE BECOME VIRTUALLY HOUSEBOUND AND BEDBOUND A LOT OF THE TIME

5.I ALSO HAVE SEVERE ANXIETY,AND A FEAR OF DEATH WITH SEVERE PANIC ATTACKS

6.I HAD 2 APPOINTMENTS WITH A PHYCHOLOGIST BUT AS I FAILED TO TURN UP DUE 2 MY PANIC I WAS DISMISSED,I TAKE VALIUMS ,PROPRANONAL AND ZOPICLONE ALL WHICH HAS NO EFFECT

7.EVERY ASPECT OF MY LIFE IS RULED BY THIS AWFUL CONDITION,I CANNOT EVEN DO NORMAL BASIC DAY TO DAY ACTIVITIES DUE TO ALWAYS BEING SO EXAUSTED ,LIGHTHEADED ETC ETC

8.I LIVE ON INCOME SUPPORT AS MY HUSBAND HAD TO GIVE UP HIS JOB TO CARE FOR OUR CHILDREN ONE OF WHICH IS SEVERLY HANDICAPPED ,HE ALSO HAS TO CARE FOR ME

9.MY HUSBAND HAS TO DO ALL THE SHOPPING

10.THE WORST PART IS THE TERRIBLE GUILT I FEEL FOR MY 4 CHILDREN AND HUSBAND,I FEEL IVE LET THEM ALL DOWN AS A MOTHER AND WIFE ,ALSO THE FEAR THAT IM DYING DUE TO ALL THE PHYSICAL SYMPTOMS ,MY FAMILY ARE MISSING OUT ON SO SO MUCH ALL BECAUSE OF ME AND IT BREAKS MY HEART

11.I FEEL DOCTORS AND THERAPISTS NEED TO BE MADE MORE AWARE OF THIS HORRIBLE CONDITION AND MORE HELP SHOULD BE GIVEN TO PEOPLE SUFFERING FROM IT

SORRY FOR RANTING ON AND ON I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU IN SOMEWAY CHRIS

GOOD LUCK (dino)XXX

jools
02-28-2006, 06:16 PM

Yours sincerely
The interview

1.ive had agoraphobia for 15 years now,although my first experience with a phobia was when i developed a fear of blood,and needles when i was a child,this gradually grew into a fear of anything medically related.i would like to add that this began after a scarey incident.
2agoraphobia for me began after a series of traumatic events happening in a small space of time.i was in a violent relationship,which i managed to escape from.i had a miscarriage.then i was raped by someone i knew.
3 i was house bound for the first year,but now i would say im fairly mild.
4 this is a hard one.about a year into it,i managed to fly to greece with my boyfriend,but i cant manage to go on an aeroplane now,but on the whole i have improved greatly.
5 agoraphobia is a "complex"phobia,as it involves many aspects of your life,so i include all my fears into it.i have had periods of OCD,but ive always managed to keep it under control,and it never developed.i used to self harm as a teenager,but that was after my father died.and i also suffer from BDD.
6 ive tried counselling and psycologists.i was on seroxat for about a year which did nothing except make me pile on 4 stone,and other awful side effects,and was hell to get off.and hypnotherapy which i found really helpful.
7yes it dictates many things in my life.i cant do a proper job.i have problems with public transport.i cant go out walking alone.im limited as to where i can get to alone,and with other people.and i need to be within a certain distance from a "safe person".
8i do private cleaning work.
9 i go to the supermarket alone late in the evenings.i used to be terrified,but it rarely bothers me now.
10the worst part of it is that i feel like a fraud.many people who know me have no idea that i have these problems.it also makes it difficult to get close to people,as i am reluctant to reveal these problems to people.,as many people just dont understand.

i think that in general more should be done to raise awareness on the whole issue.most people are misinformed about agoraphobia.they think it simply means a fear of going outdoors,which of course,it can,but there is so much more to it.had i known about it when it first began,i feel i could,ve done more to help myself at the onset.it is ultimately a fear that we will lose control,and possibly die.

curlygirlie
04-13-2006, 02:04 PM
When did agoraphobia first manifest itself with you? around 2 years ago.

Any particular event that triggered it? i have M.E so cant walk far,just get around the house. when my and my bf split up and i left school i had no reason 2 leave the hosue reguarly so barely got out at all. then i started needing teh toilet all the time so would panic if had 2 go out and was nowhere near a toilet, then i got more ill everytime i left the house. and after losing all of my friends i was raped by my ex. and then was being constantly threatened by ex best friend. so avoided leavin the house even more. the 1st time i was well enbough mentally and physically 2 go out i went 2 local pub with old friends, and 1 of them tried 2 beat me up wen we left the pub. about 30 people and no1 helped until the landlord came and dragged me back in2 the pub. after that i extremely rarely left the house.

The phobia comes in different strengths. How would you categorize your own case? quite severe. i get very difficult if anyone that im not used 2 reguarly seeing comes to the house, panic it will make me ill. but have reguarly started venturing out once a week in my mums car. i still havent been in another buildinf i.e a shop or mums house in about 2 years.i guess thats fairly severe?

Has it worsened in any way?yes times got bit better and alot lot worse. if i dont keep the regular 10 min drive it gets extremely difficult 2 step out the front door.

Agoraphobia some times comes with other phobias, anxiety or O.C.D.’s. Have you experienced any of these or others? i used 2 get very regular panic attacks but thankfully theyv calmed down alot. iv neva talked 2 ne1 about it or been diagnosed with O.C.D but think do have O.C.D tendancies. and alot of fears and phobias. have had depression for about 7/8 years now.

Have you, or are you undergoing any form of treatment? no extremely hard 2 get home visits for agoraphobia treatment ironically. am on an anti depressant though and sometimes take valium.

Does the phobia dictate your life? How? very much so, i have no social life now,or friends. they get bored with the situation and stop coming round, been so isolated now that usualy panic if any1 is going 2 visit, makes the M.E worse so i cancel. obviously cant work or study either. and feel panicky for no reason alot of the time.

How do you make your living? am on benefits because without agoraphobia still have severe M.E have started my hobby of glass painting recently thought and occasionally sell a few pieces.

How do you get your shopping done? i liev with my dad so he does it. and i buy some things off the internet.

What is the worst part of agoraphobia? ALL of it. completely destroyed my life i dont feel human let alone ur average teenager anymore. have lost pretty much everything.

Anything you want to add that will make the audience more aware on the subject? agoraphobia is a real and serious condition, were not c***us freaks, dont treat us like it. oh and1 more thing it sucks the scaly cock of satan lol! x

i would not like my name 2 be mentioned in it if poss, very few people if any know the half of wot iv just wrote. wasnt as theraputic as id hoped either lol x

[/quote]

wullie
04-15-2006, 12:43 AM
HEY CHRIS,
ONE ANSWER SCARED OF DYING!

WULLIE

redhealing
05-07-2006, 07:43 AM
Hello chris :)

The interview

When did agoraphobia first manifest itself with you? the last 4/5 years

Any particular event that triggered it? Not that i know of.just creept up on me.

From 1 to 10, 10 being the hightest..Id say a 8, As i can some times go out if im with someone.

Has it worsened in any way? Yes, It feels like every day that goes by it gets worse

Agoraphobia some times comes with other phobias, anxiety or O.C.D.’s. Have you experienced any of these or others? Yes, I suffer with depression, anxiety/panic attacks, social phobia.

Have you, or are you undergoing any form of treatment? Ive tryed many pills, And ive tryed talkin to a doc but didnt help either.

Does the phobia dictate your life? How? Yes. Im always feeling down, ill ect ect and i hardly go outside.

How do you make your living? I dont work as i can not go out. i had a job a few years ago but only lasted a mouth, it got harder and harder to turn up.

How do you get your shopping done? I live with my mother and father and my partner so they do the shopping.(If im having a good day i can go with them)

What is the worst part of agoraphobia? Not being able to go out, Seeing its a lovely day but knowing if you step one foot outside you will be ill.

It very hard for some people to understand what your going thro even people that are close to you. I think unless you have suffered with it, you really dont know what it feels like.

DP
05-09-2006, 07:26 AM
Hi group M, it would be nice if you could keep us updated on how your getting on with your research for the film. If it is going to be on tv etc... when and what channel :)

curlygirlie
05-17-2006, 01:44 PM
yeh thatd be great! x

angie
07-07-2006, 10:28 AM
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT HAPPENED WITH THIS?

DP
08-09-2006, 09:03 AM
couldn't get any agoraphobics to help film outside hehe :P

angie
08-10-2006, 11:52 AM
:D LOL DP!!

11-08-2006, 02:30 PM

Yours sincerely
The interview

When did agoraphobia first manifest itself with you? 23 years ago

Any particular event that triggered it? thinking child hood events

The phobia comes in different strengths. How would you categorize your own case? bad

Has it worsened in any way? it has it's up and downs, saying it's been 7 years bad

Agoraphobia some times comes with other phobias, anxiety or O.C.D.’s. Have you experienced any of these or others? yes

Have you, or are you undergoing any form of treatment? yes

Does the phobia dictate your life? How? it completely takes over my living life normal

How do you make your living? I am an on site manger as well design jewlery from home

How do you get your shopping done? was relying in others

What is the worst part of agoraphobia? being house bound

Thank you to all who took their time to answer. IMOP meds therapy, pushing your self to all the limits you can, positive thinking faith, hope, good luck :)

Jess
11-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Well, i don't know if this information is still useful to you, but it might be helpful to me to try to answer some of the questions - so here goes.

The interview

<span style='color:blue'>I've always had anxiety problems so far as i know.</span>

<span style='color:blue'>I am not certain about the anxiety manifested as a child, but it got really bad one day when I had to give a presentation for an animation project (something i'd done a thousand times before). I skipped the class and couldn't leave the house for a week afterwards - with or without my safe person. It seemed to come out of nowhere.</span>

<span style='color:blue'>A rollercoaster. Somedays I feel cured, and then will suddenly relapse into paralyzing fear. The anxiety is always constant, though. I don't remember what it feels like to be relaxed most times.</span>

<span style='color:blue'>It seems to be getting worse by the week. Every relapse is worse than the last.</span>

<span style='color:blue'>I thought anxiety was in intregal part of agoraphobia? Yes lots of anxiety.</span>

<span style='color:blue'>No. I have no health insurance.</span>

<span style='color:blue'>It makes it difficult to go to school. I always get my projects done, but actually going is terrifying sometimes. It makes working almost imposible for me. I go from temp job to temp job - and usually end up quitting when the anxiety gets too bad - that's after about 3 months.</span>

<span style='color:blue'>See above</span>

<span style='color:blue'>Shopping is one of my biggest problems. I can usually only shop if someone is with me.</span>

<span style='color:blue'>The physical aspects. Shaking when talking to people that I know, and people thinking that I am lying to them because of my body language.</span>

<span style='color:blue'>I'm just learning about this stuff myself - but there is one thing. Supervisors have in the past thought I was lazy for missing work or taking long smoke breaks. I never talked to them about my problems for fear of being fired - but I'm not lazy. In fact, I enjoy working.</span>

Frosty
11-15-2008, 09:27 PM
When did agoraphobia first manifest itself with you? Freshmen year of high school, I went to a friends house and had my first all night panic attack.

Any particular event that triggered it? It can be caused by an overly critical parent and that's probably where mine stemmed from. Plus a family packed full of mental history.

If I leave my town at night knowing I won't be back before sunrise I'll hyperventalate all night, forget where I am, yell, shake, then get sick. As soon as the sun rises I'm o.K
Has it worsened in any way? Currently under treatment, but each attack got worse before getting any better.

Agoraphobia some times comes with other phobias, anxiety or O.C.D.’s. Have you experienced any of these or others? I have OCD with compulsions.

Have you, or are you undergoing any form of treatment? Paxil, prosac, impromine, zoloft

Does the phobia dictate your life? How? Since my comfort zone is confined to my town at night they only thing is if I'm staying away from my town then I have to be really careful and have plans and medications in case one starts in.

Musician
I'm confined to my town so I still get to do the shopping
What is the worst part of agoraphobia? Having to worry about not being able to leave, and if it will get worse. Also the panic attacks are really quite frightening.

Anything you want to add that will make the audience more aware on the subject? That we aren't crazy or "messed up" that we just have this as part of us and that we are still the same people who have feelings and care.

[/quote]