PDA

View Full Version : Diverting anxiety

Yggdrasil
03-21-2007, 10:11 AM
I've had some good experience this week with counting 1-2-3- etc. in my head whenever I meet something that makes me anxious outside (mostly people), and then stopping when the anxiety has passed. I hope very much the method will last. It is of course a neutral way of taking away anxiety, I don't put positive thoughts into my head, but maybe I will be able to do that (with conviction) later on.
Maybe you have some good ways of diverting anxiety yourself, you'd like to share? :)

Ygg.

dino
03-21-2007, 11:11 AM
DEAR YGGSDRASIL
I AM SO PLEASED TO SEE YOUR MANAGING TO KEEP YOUR ANXIETY LEVELS
DOWN A BIT BY YOUR COUNTING METHOD
YOU SAY YOUR DOING IT BY COUNTING 1-2-3 DUNNO IF THIS IS ANY BETTER FOR YE TO TRY BUT I ONCE TOLD A LONG TIME AGO A BETTER WAY OF DIVERTING THE ANXIETY WAS TO COUNT BACKWARDS FROM A HUNDRED MISSING OUT 2 THEN 3 ETC ETC AS SEEMINGLY THIS MAKES THE BRAIN WORK HARDER
JUST A WEE TIP IF FAILING THAT THIS MIGHT SOUND DEAD STUPID BUT SOMETIMES I GO AND GOOGLE ANXIETY SYMPTOMS OVER AND OVER ,SOMETIMES THAT CALMS ME DOWN A WEE BIT ,STUPID I KNOW I MEAN I COULD WRITE A BOOK ON ALL THE SYMPTOMS ETC IT IS LEARNING HOW TO CONTROL THEM THATS THE HARD PART
WISHING YOU ALL THE BEST YGGS
LOVE DINO
XXXXXXXX
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/NormaCheryl/1blessedHaveYouWhiteBear.jpgHUGS X

Yggdrasil
03-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Hey Dino,
Thanks for telling about your methods, I will try the backward counting method if my own stops working :) I can't google while walking outside though, lol, I very rarely get anxiety when indoors in my apartment.

xxx for you

03-21-2007, 12:24 PM
hey ygg,

i usually try to sing through a song in my head. pretty much the same as counting i guess, but maybe you have to think a bit more? i dunno... or times tables i do too hehe.

dec xx :P

PS be careful when doing the song thing because you might end up looking like you are talking to yourself and scaring small children - i do this more often than not haha :blink:

Yggdrasil
03-21-2007, 01:18 PM
hi december,

I think the song might become "stuck" in my head :lol:

But good that you can use it :)

*hugs* from ygg

fudge
04-04-2007, 03:55 PM
HI xx I have learnt a fantastic way to distract from anxiety!!!! U do look totally stupid, but hey.. arent we all mad anyway!!! ok.............
Its a paul mckenna thing used for phobias.
Think of what is making u anxious, really concentrate, give it a number out of 10, 10 being really anxious etc.. Now still thinking of the thing that scares u, and tap roughly 10 times above ur eyebrow, then tap below ur eye 10x, tap ur collarbone, lift ur arm and tap just below ur armpit, now tap, and continue tapping ur knuckle between ur lil finger and ring finger...
keep tapping and look to the left, then middle, then right, roll ur eyes all the way round, hum happy birthday to u, happy birthday to u count out loud 1-10, hum happy birthday to u , happy birthday to u.. Then reassess how u feel.. out of 10, do it all again, it totally distracts u!!! I will go read in the book again and double check i havent missed anything, but its brilliant!
I bought his confidence book, and it has helped me!!

good luck xx fudge xx

dino
04-05-2007, 11:20 AM
HIYA FUDGE
IS THIS CALLED CHINOSIS BY ANY CHANCE ,I AM JUST BEING NOSY COS I AM SUPPOSED TO BE DOING SOMETHING VIA A WEB CAM WITH STEVE THE HYPNOTIST FROM THIS SITE WHICH SOUNDS KINDO FAMILIAR
SAYING THAT I THINK I MIGHT O SCARED THE POOR MAN OF OR GAVE HIM A NERVOUS BREAKDOON AT THE MERE THOUGHT O HAVING TO DEAL WITH ME AS HE SEEMS TO HAVE DISAPPEARED LOL
THANKS FOR THE TIPS FUDGE AND WAS GREAT SEEING YE IN CHAT LAST NIGHT
COME BACK SOON OK
LOVE DINO
XXXXXXX
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t215/lil-andi/Snags/Hugsonalog_Creddys.gif