PDA

View Full Version : AGORAPHOBIA

beverley
12-14-2006, 02:03 PM
:D

HI EVERYONE
NOW IF I HAVE SEEN THE TRAILER CORRECTLY THERE IS A PROGRAMME ON TUESDAY THE 19TH DEC ON CHANNEL 4 ALL ABOUT AGORAPHOBIA AND TREATMENT
PLEASE CHECK THE TV MAG THOUGH AS I ONLY CAUGHT THE END OF IT AND I MIGHT HAVE GOT THE WRONG DAY,DATECHANNEL KNOWING ME ITS POSSIBLE? LOL
IT MIGHT BE WORTH A LOOK WHO KNOWS
BEV
XXXXXXXX

Rich-Admin
12-14-2006, 03:10 PM
Hello Bev and everyone,

The show is called The House Of Agoraphobics,

It's on channel 4 on Tuesday 19 and Wednesday 20th December 2006 at 10PM,

Myself and Dawn met the producer of the show a while back,

Will be interesting to watch :)

jk.

dino
12-14-2006, 04:35 PM
OMG SO GLAD YE REMINDED US BOUT THIS JK WAS IT SAME ONE ME AND YOU WERE INTERVIEWED FOR BUT IF WE WERE IN IT IT WAS GOING TO BE RENAMED THE OSBOURNES PMSL http://bestsmileys.com/lol/4.gif

A MUST SEE IM OFF TO MARK MA CALENDER FFS
LOVE DINO
XXXXXXX

libby
12-14-2006, 05:05 PM
OMG I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS, BUT I'M ALWAYS KEPT IN THE DARK!!

I WILL BE WATCHING.

LIBBY

petal
12-14-2006, 05:30 PM
Hi peeps :)

Hope we get this show here in Oz. I'm sure we will.

Cheers
Petal http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/tiere/animal-smiley-085.gif

angie
12-16-2006, 04:39 AM
GO ON, SPILL THE BEANS. WHO IS IT?!
I'M DYIN TO KNOW AND THE SUSPENSE IS KILLIN ME. :D
ANG

Rich-Admin
12-19-2006, 08:35 AM
Just bumping this up as it's on tonight :)

jk.

FLORENCE
12-19-2006, 10:08 AM
:)

JK, I wonder if you or any of the other friends in chat could let those of us who do not recieve that program, let us know some of the contents here in the forum on a post??? I know tha I would greatly appreciate it, as I am in the usa.You do a wonderful job here, J K and I feel so fortunate, that I found your site... Thanks to you, FLORENCE :rolleyes:

beverley
12-19-2006, 02:16 PM
HI FLORENCE
IM SURE PLENTY OF US IN ENGLAND WILL WATCH IT AND PUT OUR VIEWS ON THE FORUM SO DONT WORRY ABOUT THAT LOL
ALSO THERE MIGHT BE A WEBSITE ADRESS AT THE END OF THE PROGRAMME YOU NEVER KNOW
WILL LET YOU KNOW
BEV
XXXXX

FLORENCE
12-19-2006, 02:26 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BEV ,,,,Thank you for your help,,I should know that' you'll all share the info with me...lol!!!! FLORENCE....xxxx

FLORENCE
12-19-2006, 02:29 PM
:) :)

JK,,,,,,Thank you that would be great ,not just for myself, but for all those who will miss it or come on after the fact!!!! Thanks again J K for your wonderful site....FLO

libby
12-19-2006, 06:46 PM
WELL I WATCHED THE FIRST PART OF THE PROGRAMME, I DON'T RECOGNIZE ANYTHING IN THEM THAT IS IN ME, 'CAUSE FOR A STRAT YOU COULDNT GET ME TO LONDON IF YA PAID ME A MILLION QUID. THEY ALSO NEVER MENTIONED THAT THEY HAVE SYMPTOMS INDOORS, I DUNNO PERHAPS I DON'T HAVE AGORAPHOBIA :blink: AND YET...............OH I COULD GO ON BUT I'M NOT GONNA!

I JUST EXPECTED MORE OF ME IN THEM :o

LIBBY

12-19-2006, 07:23 PM
Well really glad i watched it to see what agoraphobia was all about, i obviously have a different agoraphobia to what they had! Simon was one gen guy, felt for him infact when he first went out i nearly cried with him, \you could tell how anxous and panicky he was geting, and strange but i felt panicky through whole programme, maybe it was the talking of panic that made me more anxious! But wont miss next week holiday to Singapore hmmmm. Infact ill shuruuuuuuuuup now before i really do take the biscuit.. One more thing If they got a medal for it i must have the fookin TROPHY :-)

All to be said for now..

<Hides under desk for back lash> Urghhhhh

Luvvas Caroline x

angie
12-20-2006, 02:10 AM
TOTALY AGREE WITH YOU LIBBY.

beverley
12-20-2006, 07:00 AM
:angry:
WELL WHAT CAN I SAY?
TO ALL THOSE UNABLE TO SEE "THE HOUSE OF AGORAPHOBICS" YOU MISSED NOTHING?
IT WAS A TOTALLY UNREALISTIC PORTRAYAL OF PEOPLE SUFFERING FROM THIS ILLNESS
AND BEFORE ANYONE PAINTS ME AS HARSH OR A CYNIC?
[I AGREE WITH CYNICAL LOL]
I HAVE SUFFERED FROM AGORAPHOBIA FOR 21 YEARS AND YES THROUGHOUT THIS TIME I HAVE HAD SOME SUCCESS BUT I HAVE BEEN THROUGH THE MILL WITH THIS ILLNESS
I WAS ADMITTED TO HOSPITAL WHEN FIRST ILL WITH SEVERE DEPRESSION FOLLOWING THE BIRTH OF MY 3RD CHILD BUT THE DECIDING FACTOR ON MY BEING HOSPTALISED WAS THE SEVERE PANIC ATTACKS I WAS SUFFERING SO WHEN I AM DISCUSSING THIS PROG BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY I HAVE GONE THROUGH MOST TREATMENTS THE MEDICAL PROFFESSION HAS TO OFFER AND ALSO OTHERS HYPNOSIS ETC
THE PROGRAMME DID NOT SHOW IN ANYWAY THE TORMENT AGORAPHOBICS SUFFER AND I FOUND IT UNBELIEVABLE THAT THE MAN WHO HADNT LEFT HIS BEDROOM IN NEARLY 5 YEARS WAS ABLE AFTER A 2 HOUR PANIC SESSION WAS ABLE TO GO TO LONDON?
I AM TELLING YOU THAT WOULD ONLY HAPPEN AFTER MONTHS AND I MEAN MONTHS OF INTENSIVE THERAPY?
MOST AGORAPHOBICS WOULD HAVE BEEN NIGH ON HYSTERICAL BEING IN A CAR ON A MOTORWAY WITH PEOPLE THEY DIDNT KNOW?
ALSO IF ANYONE NOTICED THEY WERE FILMING IN KINGSTON I RECOGNISED THE BRIDGE FROM A LONG TIME AGO ADMITTEDLY BUT THERE WAS HARDLY ANY TRAFFIC AND NOT MANY PEOPLE ABOUT?
WELL BELIEVE ME KINGSTON IS ABOUT A 20 MIN DRIVE FROM WHERE I LIVE AND THAT IS COS OF THE TRAFFIC MOST PEOPLE USE PUBLIC TRANSPORT IF THEY WISH TO GO SHOPPING THERE AS ITS SO BAD SO HOW COME THE PLACE WAS NEARLY EMPTY UNBELIEVAVLE ITS A MAIN SHOPPING CENTRE?
I COULD GO ON BUT IM AFRAID I WOULD FILL MOST OF THIS WHOLE SITE AND POOR JK WOULD HAVE TO EDIT IT LOL
OH WELL ITS A SHAME AS I THOUGHT THIS MIGHT HAVE BEEN A GOOD DOCUMENTARY TALKING ABOUT THIS ILLNESS IN A REALISTIC WAY BUT NO IT WAS FAR FROM IT
AND I AGREE WITH YOU LIBBY DIDNT RECOGNISE MYSELF EITHER LOL
AS YOU CAN TELL I WILL NOT BE WASTING MY TIME WATCHING PART 2 AS THE PEOPLE FLY OFF TO CHINA?
SORRY I HAVE WHINGED ON BUT COULDNT HELP IT MIGHT HAVE TO PUT SOMETHING IN RANTS LOL
TAKE CARE EVERYONE
BEV
XXXXX

Rich-Admin
12-20-2006, 07:09 AM
I FOUND IT UNBELIEVABLE THAT THE MAN WHO HADNT LEFT HIS BEDROOM IN NEARLY 5 YEARS WAS ABLE AFTER A 2 HOUR PANIC SESSION WAS ABLE TO GO TO LONDON?
I AM TELLING YOU THAT WOULD ONLY HAPPEN AFTER MONTHS AND I MEAN MONTHS OF INTENSIVE THERAPY?

Shame really we were hoping that they would at least mention the therapy they had before travelling down to London,

Simon was the only one i could relate to as you could see the real fear in his face,

If the show gets someone to seek help then the show as at least helped,

I doubt very much i'll be watching the next episode,

Was nice to see Phobics Awareness mentioned in the credits though,

jk.

dino
12-20-2006, 08:12 AM
IM HERE LOL THOUGHT I COULD CONTAIN MASEL AND KEEP MA GOB SHUT BUT SORRY YE KNOW ME http://bestsmileys.com/signs12/23.gif

IM A WEE BIT LATE IN REPLYING AS I JUST GOT BACK FROM BEING ABROAD ,YEA IN MY DREAMS LOL

WAS THINKING ABOUT MAYBE GOING DOON THE STREET WI POOR HUBBY AND IF I FELT ANXIOUS I'D JUST LIE DOON ON PAVEMENT FFS ONLY PROBLEM IF YE DID SOMETHING LIKE THAT UP HERE YOUR EITHER ARRESSTED FOR BEING PISSED OR TAKEN AWAY TO THE LOONIE BIN FFS http://bestsmileys.com/lol/4.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/cops/8.gif

AS LIBBY ,CAROLINEP ANG AND BEV HAVE ALL SAID SOME AGORAPHOBIA???
ALL I CAN SAY IF THATS WHAT ITS LIKE I TOO MUST OF BEEN SERIOUSLY MISDIAGNOSED

I AGREE ON ONE BIT SAME AS YOU JK AND NO IM NO SOOKING UP INCASE YE TAKE MA POST OFF LOL BUT THE ONLY TIME I FELT TEARS WELL UP IN MA EYES WAS THE BLOKE IN BACK O CAR I COULD FEEL HIS FEAR http://bestsmileys.com/crying/2.gif
http://bestsmileys.com/signs15/18.gif
FOR FEAR O GETTING BANNEDhttp://bestsmileys.com/signs13/20.gif

beverley
12-20-2006, 08:13 AM
TOTALLY AGREE WITH JK MORE SHOULD HAVE BEEN SHOWN BEFOREHAND AS TO HOW THEY MANAGED TO GET TO LONDON?
AS THE WAY THE SHOW WAS BROADCAST THEY DIDNT HAVE ANY THERAPY APART FROM A PANIC SESSION BEFORE THE JOURNEY
I SUPPOSE JK IS RIGHT PHOBICS GOT A MENTION IN THE CREDITS BUT TO BE HONEST I DIDNT CATCH THAT AS I WAS TOO CHEESED OFF WITH THE WHOLE THING? LOL
THE YOUNG MAN MENTIONED DID SEEM TO SHOW GENUINE FEAR AS DID THE ASIAN LADY WHO COULDNT DO ALL THAT WAS ASKED OF HER AND DID SHOW MORE REALISTIC SYMPTONS OF AGORAPHOBIA AND WOULDNT GET ON THE TRAIN
STILL FOUND THE PROG A WASTE OF TIME BUT HEY PERHAPS OTHERS ENJOYED IT AND IM GETTING CRABBY IN MY OLD AGE LOL
BEV

angie
12-20-2006, 10:32 AM
PERSONALY, IT'S JUST RATINGS THEY'RE AFTER.
THE PAT ON THE BACK. NOT WHAT IT TAKES TO GET THEM TO LONDON IN THE FIRST PLACE. NO WAY WOULD THEY HAVE GOT ME THERE.

IT WAS A P***TAKE FROM START TO FINISH. IT MADE US LOOK LIKE A BUNCH OF LEAD-SWINGING FREAKS.
WHY DIDN'T THEY BOTHER TO SHOW THE PAIN OF LIVING LIKE THAT?

IT WAS LIKE A DAY TRIP FOR THE ''I'M A BIT NERVOUS NOW AND AGAIN''

SORRY.
CRAP.

ANG

12-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Just to add a little bit more critisism Urghhhh <Winks>

After talking to my Psychologist today re the programme, like we both agreed on if it was that easy to cure in a matter of days, ALLLLL Psyhcologists would be out a job huh..

12 yrs ive been in this illness and if i could be cured and go to sainsburys with in two days ill be on the next show :lol: What a Fekin Liberty :P

As with Dino shuts up before im booted ;>

Luvvas

Caroline x

Ps.. It didnt show any of the contestants lifes in the build up to the show either?Why? Doesnt really portrait a good outlook for sufferers like our selves makes it look like something so easy to over come that angered me Dr Paul S will be getting an email from moi.. And (Oks rabbiting on now) Get it all of my chest ;> it is more like entertainment than an illness i am actually really angry how its been put on a screen and making a mock of some one vunerable like myself and others to think its so easy to cure right enough said or i will end up sitting writing a book here..

FLORENCE
12-20-2006, 11:27 AM
:o :o
Well, I couln't see the show ,but from listening to you all, they kinda did us an injustice,,,so just goes to show that unless you really have been there , you don't have any concept of the pain, the embarrassment and the loss, of which we suffer. A friend ,,,FLORENCE

libby
12-20-2006, 06:39 PM
DIDN'T WANNA WATCH PART 2, BUT COULDN'T HELP MYSELF TO SEE IF THIS SO CALLED INTENSE THERAPY HAD ANYTHING ELSE TO OFFER. SO WISH I HADN'T WATCHED IT CAUSE I'M SO ANGRY, PLEASE TELL ME IF I HAVE IT ALL WRONG BUT THE PROGRAMME SHOULD'VE BEEN CALLED 'HOUSE OF PANIC ATTACK SUFFERERS'. DO THESE THERAPISTS NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AGORAPHOBIA AND PANIC? AS I KNOW AND A LOT OF PEOPLE HERE KNOW, SUFFERING WITH PANIC ATTACKS DOESN'T MEAN THAT URE AGORA. I'VE SUFFERED WITH PANIC ATTACKS FOR 31 YEARS BUT HAVE ONLY RECENTLY BECOME AGORA. I LOOKED ON THEIR WEBSITE SO THAT I COULD EMAIL EM BUT I COULD ONLY FIND AN ADDRESS OR TELEPHONE NUMBER. I'M DEFINATELY GONNA WRITE TO THEM.

GLAD JK AND DOLPH THAT U GOTTA MENTION IN THE CREDITS :)
BUT THATS ABOUT ALL THE GOOD THERE WAS ABOUT IT. MY BIGGEST PROBLEM IS THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO DONT UNDERSTAND US, PROBABLY NOW UNDERSTAND EVEN LESS. I HOPE MY DAD DIDNT WATCH IT, HE'LL PROLLY SAY SOMETHING LIKE "IF I PAY WILL YA TAKE ME TO USA NEXT YEAR, I KNOW YOU CAN CAUSE THOSE THREE PEOPLE ON THAT PROGRAMME WENT TO TOKYO" :lol:

MY BLOOD BOILED WHEN THE MAIN THERAPIST (SOZ CANT THINK OF HIS NAME) SAID TO THE INDIAN LADY (SOZ CANT THINK OF HER NAME EITHER :blink: ) "I KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH PANIC, YOU DON'T" FFS I THREW ME DINNER AT THE TELLY :blink: :blink:

TO FINISH-THE PROGRAMME HAS DONE NOTHING TO HELP OUR PLIGHT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY AND QUITE FRANKLY I FEEL LIKE I'VE HAD THE P*** TAKEN OUT OF ME AND WHAT I HAVE SUFFERED WITH FOR MOST OF MY LIFE. OK, I'M DONE NOW :rolleyes:

P.S. I WONT BE ON FOR THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS 'CAUSE I'M OFF TO AUSTRALIA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

angie
12-21-2006, 03:17 AM
LAST NIGHTS WAS A BIT DIFFERENT I THOUGHT.
POOR SIMON AT BLACKFRIARS. HE DID SO WELL AND SEEMED VERY ENTHUSIASTIC.
THE THERAPISTS FACE IN THE TOKYO WAS A PICTURE. HE KNEW HE'D BITTEN OFF MORE THAN HE COULD CHEW!
I KNOW THESE EXPERTS HAVE READ ALL THE BOOKS BUT I THINK THEY WERE OUT OF THEIR DEPTH.
I WAS TOLD ''GET A FLAT. LIVE ON YOUR OWN AND YOU'LL BE CURED''. I DID. I WASN'T.
THEN I WAS TOLD ''GO ON A PLANE. IF YOU CAN DO THAT YOU CAN DO ANYTHING''. I DID AND I STILL WASN'T 'CURED'.

WHEN WILL THESE PEOPLE REALISE, IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHERE YOU ARE, YOU STILL HAVE TO TAKE YOURSELF WITH YOU.

I WISH THEM ALL THE LUCK.
AND LIBBY HAVE A GREAT TIME IN OZ :P :D

beverley
12-21-2006, 10:46 AM
:angry:
well same here said i wouldnt watch the 2nd part of the programme but i thought i would to say i had given it a fair go?
i was right with my first impressions utter rubbish?
libby hit the nail on the head it should have been "the panic house"
such a shame that the programme couldnt have shown if these people had any treatment prior to the prog and how long for?
also more of the effects of agoraphobia on more everyday life and also how it affects family friends work etc.
found it unbelievable that after 2 weeks treatment and apparently no medication they went on a 13 hour flight to toyko?
i have never met or spoken to an agoraphobic who could accomplish this in such short a space of time?
oh well perhaps next time someone will do a prog where people are better informed
and libby take a book to read on that flight lol
take care everyone
bev